‘We didn’t go back on our word to Lookman’ – Atalanta CEO refutes claims after rejected Inter Milan bid

Share This Article:
Ademola Lookman’s Atalanta future in doubt as summer exit looms

Atalanta CEO Luca Percassi has provided clarity on Nigeria international Ademola Lookman’s transfer demand, following the player’s public statement that he wants to leave the club.

Lookman confirmed on Sunday that he had submitted a transfer request after a proposed move to Inter Milan was blocked by Atalanta.

Inter have made approaches for the 27-year-old forward but have been told they must significantly improve their offer if they want to secure his signature.

Speaking at the unveiling of new signing Marco Sportiello on Monday, Percassi detailed the background to the current standoff, revealing that Lookman had already made his intentions clear during last year’s summer transfer window.

“It’s a good opportunity to clarify what happened. Last year, faced with a €20m offer from PSG, the player asked us to sell him,” Percassi said.

“Atalanta, being a credible club, promised to be able to sell the player in this transfer window based on two conditions that he himself had asked us: first of all, to reach a super top European club, and also that in Italy he would never be seen wearing a shirt other than Atalanta, both for what he did and for what he received from the club.”

Despite Lookman’s desire to join Inter, Percassi underlined that the club would only sanction a transfer on its own terms.

“Today the situation you know is very different, in any case the club is always careful to evaluate the times and the values of its players, but as always it is the Atalanta club that decides.”

Lookman, who joined Atalanta in 2022, played a pivotal role last season with standout performances in both Serie A and the Europa League, drawing interest from top clubs across Europe.

Share This Article: