Viktor Gyokeres dropped for Arsenal win as Barcelona transfer rumours intensify

Share This Article:
Viktor Gyokeres dropped for Arsenal win as Barcelona transfer rumours intensify

Arsenal supporters have renewed speculation that Viktor Gyokeres could leave the club after the Sweden striker was an unused substitute in their 3-0 victory over Coventry City, with some fans claiming his departure could come as soon as next week.

Arsenal began their defence of the Premier League title with a comfortable win at Emirates Stadium, where Kai Havertz, Bukayo Saka and Martin Ødegaard scored for Mikel Arteta’s side.

The club introduced new defender Ezri Konsa to the crowd before kick-off following his £55m move from Aston Villa. Arsenal’s only setback was the absence of Bruno Guimaraes, although Arteta confirmed the midfielder’s injury was not serious.

The main focus afterwards, however, was on Gyokeres. The striker remained on the bench throughout the match while Havertz completed the full 90 minutes. It was only the fifth occasion since joining Arsenal that Gyokeres had failed to make an appearance for the club.

Gyokeres scored 21 goals in all competitions last season, but his future has become the subject of growing speculation in recent weeks. The Sweden international has been linked with a move to Spain, including suggestions that he could be used as part of a deal to bring Julian Alvarez to Arsenal from Atletico de Madrid.

Other reports have focused on possible interest from Barcelona. Those rumours gathered pace after information circulated that Gyokeres’ agent had been in Barcelona since Monday.

That development led some Arsenal supporters to interpret the striker’s omission against Coventry as a possible sign that he is nearing an exit. The Standard highlighted several reactions posted by Gunners fans on social media.

One account, 1886, wrote on X: “Merino comes on for Gyokeres. Looks like his days are numbered.”

Another supporter, posting as AJ, said: “Yes, this confirms the theory 100%. Gyokeres would never have accepted sitting on the bench, with Kai becoming the first choice despite the huge difference. His agent was in Barcelona for a reason. Looks like he’ll be leaving next week.”

A third post read: “Gyokeres didn’t play a single minute today. For a player who was the biggest striker signing last year, this looks like a very clear indication. I wouldn’t rule out him leaving during this transfer window.”

Arsenal remain linked with Alvarez, and former England defender Gary Neville has urged the club to make a move for the Argentina international.

“What a team Arteta has built, and if he adds another striker to this group, I don’t see how any team will be able to stop them,” Neville said on Sky Sports.

“We believe Alvarez wants to move to Barcelona, but if Arsenal can sign him, it would set this place alight, because you would have a world-class striker alongside world-class defenders and midfielders.”

Barcelona have yet to resolve the signing of their next striker, while head coach Hansi Flick needs a decision before the transfer window closes. The Catalan club are short of options at centre-forward and have tried several players in that position during pre-season, including 18-year-old Egyptian Hamza Abdulkareem.

Share This Article: