Luke Shaw admits Manchester United were not ready for Hull City threat
Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has admitted his side failed to prepare properly for Hull City’s strengths after the Red Devils began their 2026-27 Premier League campaign with a damaging 2-0 defeat on Saturday.
The result was an unexpected setback for Manchester United, whose supporters had been encouraged by the team’s performances at the end of last season and during pre-season. However, the loss at Hull City was compounded by post-match comments suggesting the players had been aware of the danger posed by their opponents but had not done enough to deal with it.
Shaw described both the performance and the result as disappointing, while conceding that Manchester United’s preparations had fallen below the required standard.
“We knew that would happen”
Speaking to Stan Sports, Shaw said Manchester United had identified Hull City’s main weapons before kick-off.
“It’s disappointing. We knew Hull’s strengths, which were set-pieces, playing wide and putting crosses into the box. We defended well at times, but conceding two goals from set-pieces was not acceptable,” he said, as reported by Metro.
The England international added that the team’s awareness of Hull City’s threat made the outcome even harder to accept.
“We knew they were good at set-pieces and, in the end, it cost us the three points. It’s extremely disappointing because this is not like us, and we knew it would happen. I think, as a group, we could have prepared better, especially because we understood how dangerous they were from set-pieces.”
Both of Hull City’s goals came from dead-ball situations. Semi Ajayi opened the scoring after Manchester United goalkeeper Senne Lammens saved Ollie McBurnie’s effort following a corner, with Ajayi reacting to the loose ball.
Hull City then doubled their advantage when Mendy headed in from a free-kick cross delivered by Regan Slater.
Shaw also acknowledged that Manchester United lacked the attacking sharpness needed to respond after falling behind.
“Offensively, we were missing the decisive touch to score goals and try to get back into the game,” he said.
No excuses
Despite pointing to the team’s inadequate preparation, Shaw insisted Manchester United could not use the early stage of the season as a justification for the defeat.
“There are absolutely no excuses in this game. It’s the start of the season and perhaps some players are still looking for their form, but that is not an excuse,” he said.
He also made clear that Manchester United should have expected to win at Hull City.
“Manchester United should have gone to Hull, with full respect to them, and won.”
The defeat leaves Manchester United with an immediate need to improve their defending at set-pieces and their attacking response in matches where they fall behind. Shaw’s comments are likely to increase concern among supporters who had entered the new campaign with renewed optimism after the positive signs of the previous season and pre-season period.
