Bernardo Silva set for key role as Mourinho brings new midfield ideas to Real Madrid

Share This Article:
Bernardo Silva set for key role as Mourinho brings new midfield ideas to Real Madrid

Jose Mourinho’s return to Real Madrid is already producing a significant tactical shift, with Bernardo Silva and Arda Guler at the centre of a midfield approach that moves away from the rigid, physically demanding system traditionally associated with the Portuguese manager.

Real Madrid’s pre-season preparations have offered early evidence of a different Mourinho, with the club now counting down to their first La Liga match of the new campaign. Football analyst Aritz Gabilondo described the change as the manager’s “real football transformation” during an appearance on El Larguero, broadcast by Cadena SER.

Speaking on the Sanedrin programme with Alvaro Benito, Gabilondo said Mourinho had moved away from the fixed double-pivot system that characterised much of his earlier coaching career.

“In the previous era, it would have been impossible to see Bernardo Silva playing as the second holding midfielder alongside Tchouameni. He is a player under 1.70 metres tall and physically light; that would have been impossible in the old, uncompromising Mourinho era,” Gabilondo said.

The analyst argued that the change was not simply a response to the qualities of one player. Instead, he said it represented a broader footballing philosophy that Mourinho had been developing since the final years of his time at Benfica.

That approach involves using an attacking midfielder close to a defensive midfielder, rather than relying exclusively on two powerful players whose primary responsibility is to protect the central areas of the pitch.

Guler is also being used in a way that illustrates the change. The Turkey international has been positioned slightly deeper, behind Jude Bellingham, to provide support to the central midfielder. According to Gabilondo, the role would have been viewed by the former version of Mourinho as an unnecessarily risky tactical decision.

Bernardo Silva is expected to start Real Madrid’s opening match against Espanyol on Saturday, according to Gabilondo. The game will therefore provide the first official test of whether Mourinho’s new midfield structure can function competitively.

The Portuguese manager’s return to the Spanish capital is consequently being judged on more than a change in personality or public image. His early tactical experiments suggest he is attempting to alter the football itself, allowing technically gifted and smaller players to operate in areas that would previously have been reserved for physically stronger midfielders.

Real Madrid will begin their league campaign one match later than planned after their opening fixture was postponed. They will start from the second round of matches, already three points behind their rivals, adding pressure to Mourinho’s latest challenge at the club.

The season’s first competitive fixture will offer an immediate indication of how far the manager is prepared to take his revised ideas, with Silva’s inclusion likely to be one of the clearest signs of whether the old midfield model has been discarded.

Readers can discuss this subject and other football news in greater depth on the Kooora forums.

Share This Article: