Kenya government sets AFCON 2027 title target for Benni McCarthy’s side
The Kenyan government has said it is developing a dedicated plan to help the national team compete for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations title under head coach Benni McCarthy.
Kenya will co-host the tournament alongside Tanzania and Uganda in what will be the first time three countries have jointly staged the competition. The tournament is being held under the East Africa Pamoja bid, with Pamoja meaning “Together” in Swahili.
Speaking after inspecting stadium preparations on Wednesday, Sports Cabinet Secretary Salim Mvurya said the government was determined to ensure the Harambee Stars make the most of home advantage.
“There is no need of hosting then you lose,” Mvurya told reporters.
He said the government was preparing a roadmap for the national team’s development and would seek support from both the public and private sectors.
“We will also have a roadmap to prepare Harambee Stars and we will be rallying all Kenyans both in the public and private sector to support our team and to profile our team before, within and also after AFCON,” he said.
Mvurya added that the football technical team had already been asked to produce a plan aimed at helping Kenya challenge for the trophy.
“We have another plan which we will share but we have already asked the football technical team to give a roadmap on how they can lift the cup,” he said.
Former South Africa international McCarthy was appointed Kenya’s head coach as the country steps up preparations for the expanded continental tournament, with expectations rising ahead of hosting one of Africa’s biggest sporting events.
