Marcelino clarifies Pape Gueye situation after Villarreal omission
Senegal international Pape Gueye has missed Villarreal’s last two matches, with head coach Marcelino García Toral clarifying that the decision to leave him out was made as a precautionary measure rather than due to injury or disciplinary issues.
The midfielder has not featured recently for Villarreal CF, prompting speculation over his fitness and status within the squad. However, Marcelino moved to dismiss any concerns, explaining that the absence is linked to workload management and long-term fitness planning.
According to the coach, Gueye had been expected to feature in the most recent fixture but reported minor muscular discomfort during training the day before the match. Medical staff subsequently carried out tests to assess the situation more closely.
“He was supposed to play in the last match. But he felt a slight muscle discomfort during training the day before. We had him undergo tests for a more thorough diagnosis to avoid taking any risks. In the end, we decided not to take any risks. He’s a player who has a World Cup to play in. He’s fit,” Marcelino said.
The Villarreal coach added that the decision was taken to ensure the player remains in optimal condition ahead of major international commitments, with the 2026 FIFA World Cup approaching.
The club are expected to reintegrate the Senegalese winger once he has fully recovered and training levels return to normal.
Gueye’s absence is therefore viewed internally as a short-term precaution rather than a sign of any deeper issue. Villarreal staff are keen to avoid unnecessary setbacks, particularly with the player considered an important part of both club and national team plans.
For Senegal, the update will be seen as reassuring, with the player remaining a key figure in their squad. Gueye previously played a decisive role in major international success, including a memorable contribution during Senegal’s continental triumph in 2025.
Villarreal are expected to continue monitoring his condition closely before making a final decision on his return to competitive action in the coming matches.
Marcelino justifie la mise à l’écart de Pape Gueye 🇸🇳 lors des deux derniers matchs de Villarreal : « Il a une Coupe du monde à jouer ! » pic.twitter.com/Aa41jj58ku
— Instant Foot ⚽️ (@lnstantFoot) May 13, 2026
Related To This Article
-
Latest News
Kriel urges Springboks to seize remaining chances after All Blacks defeat
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Sundowns urged to sign right-back after Mudau suffers six-month injury
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Former Sundowns defender Schoeman reveals knee injury forced early retirement
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Ouaddou wishes Van Rooyen well after Orlando Pirates departure
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Five teams begin Motsepe Foundation Championship with opening-weekend wins
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Cardoso says Sundowns must break MTN8 pattern to reach final
August 23, 2026
-
Kriel urges Springboks to seize remaining chances after All Blacks defeat Aug 23, 2026
-
Sundowns urged to sign right-back after Mudau suffers six-month injury Aug 23, 2026
-
Former Sundowns defender Schoeman reveals knee injury forced early retirement Aug 23, 2026
-
Ouaddou wishes Van Rooyen well after Orlando Pirates departure Aug 23, 2026
-
AFCON 2025: Fixtures, Results, Scores and Standings Jan 18, 2026
-
Leadership and long-term vision key to rescuing Zamalek and inspiring Egyptian football – Hany Abou Rida Nov 5, 2025
-
South African giants Orlando Pirates set to lose influential forward Monnapule Saleng Mar 19, 2025
-
Full schedule for 2025 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco confirmed Feb 12, 2025
