French-Congolese forward Jean-Philippe Mateta delays Palace decision, hoping World Cup elevates his value
Crystal Palace striker Jean-Philippe Mateta has yet to commit to a new contract, with sources indicating he intends to assess his future after the 2026 World Cup.
Mateta, who has Congolese heritage, currently has a deal running until June 2027.
Initial talks earlier this year were reportedly positive, but the 28-year-old appears in no rush to extend his stay at Selhurst Park.
The forward has emerged as one of the Premier League’s most dangerous centre forwards, with his form earning him a place in Didier Deschamps’ France squad. Mateta has scored twice in three appearances since making his senior international debut in October.
BBC Sport sources report that Mateta sees the upcoming World Cup in North America as an opportunity to strengthen his negotiating position.
A strong tournament could allow him to consider both a new Palace deal and potential moves elsewhere in Europe.
Palace remain in dialogue with Mateta, with club officials hopeful a renewal is still possible. However, interest from other European sides, including Serie A’s Atalanta, adds pressure to the negotiations.
The striker’s uncertainty comes amid challenges for manager Oliver Glasner, who guided Palace to their first major trophy with the FA Cup triumph in May.
Glasner has also been managing the club’s debut European campaign, balancing domestic fixtures with the demands of continental competition.
Reflecting on the club’s summer transfer activity, Glasner said: “If you play European football for the first time in your history, you should invest and not save.”
He added that missed opportunities in the transfer window limited Palace’s ability to strengthen for a tougher season.
Glasner expressed frustration after Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Manchester United, noting the club had failed to take chances to improve the squad in July and August. “Everything was pretty clear… today I think it is also time to speak about it that we missed the chance to play an even better season in the summer,” he said.
The manager’s own future remains unresolved, with his contract expiring at the end of the season and no extension agreement in place.
