Nigeria calls for FIFA to act against South Africa for fielding ineligible player in World Cup qualifier

Nuhu Adams

 Football   FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 2026   South Africa v Zimbabwe   Free State Stadium   Bloemfontein   Nigeria calls for FIFA to act against South Africa for fielding ineligible player in World Cup qualifier   AfricaSoccercom

Drama has hit Group C of the African 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers amid questions over the eligibility of South Africa midfielder Teboho Mokoena in their matchday five encounter against Lesotho.

According to the FIFA regulations, a player who is booked yellow twice in different matches must serve an automatic one-match suspension.

Mokoena received a yellow card in South Africa’s matchday two encounter against Benin and matchday four against Zimbabwe.

In accordance with FIFA’s disciplinary rules, this should have ruled him out of the all-critical match against Lesotho, which was played a few days ago.

However, he was fielded by South Africa, a move that has triggered fear of a violation of FIFA’s rules.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has spoken strongly on the matter, demanding that FIFA take action by docking three points from South Africa and granting three points to Lesotho.

If FIFA upholds the protest, it would have a grave implication on the Group C table where South Africa, Nigeria, Benin, and Rwanda are engaged in a keen struggle for qualification.

This scandal could have enormous consequences on South Africa’s World Cup dreams.

South Africa Football Association (SAFA) is yet to make an official comment, but the football world watches nervously as the drama unfolds, knowing that the final decision could step in during the qualification campaign.

The Bafana Bafana currently lead Group C with 10 points, closely followed by Benin (8 points) and Rwanda (7 points).

However, a points deduction could see them lose their top spot, making the race for automatic qualification even tighter.

Nigeria, sitting on 6 points, could also take advantage of any slip-up by South Africa. In such a competitive group, even the slightest setback could prove costly.

Tags

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

# Related Post

Komlan Amewou Komlan Amewou   Amewou hoping to seize chance at Nimes after difficult season   AfricaSoccercom

Amewou hoping to seize chance at Nimes after difficult season

Nimes midfielder Komlan Amewou is approaching the new Ligue 2 season with renewed optimism after a frustrating last campaign at the club. In an exclusive interview, the Togo international said he has a point to prove this term after struggling for game time under former coach Thierry Froger. “I feel good compared to last year when I played very little and the coach had very little confidence in me,” the 28-year-old told AfricaSoccer.com. “Today, I have all the cards in hand to prove my talent. It was up to me to show him and everyone else that I was better than that.” Amewou believes new manager Victor Zvunka, who returned

Read More »
Al Hilal maintain pursuit of Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen Al Hilal maintain pursuit of Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen   Nigerias Victor Osimhen strikes again as Galatasaray maintain perfect start in Turkish Super Lig   AfricaSoccercom

Nigeria’s Victor Osimhen strikes again as Galatasaray maintain perfect start in Turkish Super Lig

Victor Osimhen continued his bright start to life in Turkey after scoring in Galatasaray’s 3-1 victory over Rizespor in the Super Lig on Saturday. The Nigerian forward, who joined permanently from Napoli this summer, has now found the net in successive league matches. Coming off the back of a goal in last weekend’s emphatic 4-0 away win, Osimhen once again made the difference at Rams Park. Colombian defender Davinson Sánchez, formerly of Tottenham Hotspur, opened the scoring to give Galatasaray the lead. The reigning champions doubled their advantage in the 65th minute when Osimhen timed his run perfectly to slot home, rewarding the home fans with another composed finish. Rizespor,

Read More »
 Cody Gakpo   Dutch Togolese forward Cody Gakpo commits future to Liverpool with new long term deal   AfricaSoccercom

Dutch-Togolese forward Cody Gakpo commits future to Liverpool with new long-term deal

Liverpool have secured the services of forward Cody Gakpo for the long term after the Dutch-Togolese star signed a contract that ties him to Anfield until 2028. Gakpo, who has Togolese heritage through his father, has quickly grown into one of Liverpool’s most reliable performers. First brought in by Jurgen Klopp, the versatile attacker has flourished under current manager Arne Slot, becoming a cornerstone of his tactical setup. The club confirmed the news in a statement issued on Saturday following the signing ceremony at the AXA Training Centre. “Cody Gakpo has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool FC. The forward ensured he will extend his two-and-a-half-year association with the

Read More »
Sevilla await injury update on Nigerian forward Chidera Ejuke after early exit against Girona Sevilla await injury update on Nigerian forward Chidera Ejuke after early exit against Girona   Sevilla await injury update on Nigerian forward Chidera Ejuke after early exit against Girona   AfricaSoccercom

Sevilla await injury update on Nigerian forward Chidera Ejuke after early exit against Girona

Sevilla forward Chidera Ejuke was forced off the pitch after just 19 minutes in their La Liga clash against Girona on Saturday, raising concerns over a possible muscle injury. The 26-year-old Nigerian international was named in Sevilla’s starting line-up for the third matchday of the Spanish top flight but lasted less than half of the opening period. Ejuke signalled discomfort shortly after kick-off, prompting head coach Quique Sánchez Flores to replace him with Juanlu Sánchez. While the exact extent of his injury remains unclear, initial assessments suggest the forward could be dealing with a muscle problem. The club is awaiting the results of medical examinations to determine the severity of

Read More »
Ten Hag warns Nigerias Victor Boniface to prove himself amid Schick competition Ten Hag warns Nigerias Victor Boniface to prove himself amid Schick competition   Ten Hag warns Nigerias Victor Boniface to prove himself amid Schick competition   AfricaSoccercom

Ten Hag warns Nigeria’s Victor Boniface to prove himself amid Schick competition

Victor Boniface faces mounting pressure at Bayer Leverkusen after being dropped to the bench in favour of Patrik Schick, with manager Erik ten Hag issuing a blunt challenge for the Nigerian forward to reclaim his place. Boniface was left out of Leverkusen’s 3-3 draw with Werder Bremen and finds himself in a precarious position under Ten Hag, who recently replaced Xabi Alonso. Speaking about the 24-year-old striker’s absence, the Dutch coach was forthright: “Last week he wasn’t here, so he wasn’t in the squad. When he’s here, he can be part of the group,” Ten Hag said. The manager went further, making it clear that the Nigerian international will need

Read More »

Discover the ultimate blend of luxury and precision with the best replica watch. This stunning timepiece captures the essence of elegance and performance, making it the perfect accessory for both formal and casual occasions. Elevate your style without compromising your budget—experience sophistication today!

Mobile applications

Our mobile app is optimized for your phone. Download it for free!

Connect With Us

© 2025, Africa Soccer | All Rights Reserved.
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE