Paul Pogba leaves Monaco by mutual consent before new season

Share This Article:
Paul Pogba leaves Monaco by mutual consent before new season

Monaco have ended Paul Pogba’s contract by mutual agreement, bringing the France midfielder’s time at the club to a close before the start of the new season, despite his deal having been due to run until the summer of 2027.

The decision was announced by Monaco on Wednesday, with the club saying both parties had jointly agreed to terminate the contract after concluding that the objectives set when Pogba joined during pre-season last year had been achieved only partially.

Monaco thanked Pogba, the 2018 World Cup winner, for his professionalism and commitment during his time with the team. The club said he had shown a strong mentality and considerable determination, while also managing to return to the highest level after a lengthy period away from the game.

The club also highlighted Pogba’s influence away from the pitch, particularly his role in the dressing room and the experience he passed on to younger players.

Pogba thanked Monaco’s president and management, his team-mates, the coaching and administrative staff, and the supporters who had backed him.

“I would like to thank the club president and the management, my team-mates, all members of the coaching and administrative staff, and every supporter who believed in me. Representing this club and the Principality of Monaco was a wonderful experience,” Pogba said.

“Monaco is a great club and, although I did not play as many matches as I had hoped, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to wear its shirt.”

Monaco chief executive Thiago Scuro said the decision to sign Pogba had been an ambitious challenge for the club.

He acknowledged that the player’s departure had not unfolded as Monaco had hoped, but said that should not detract from the significance of Pogba’s return to competitive football or the positive contribution he made within the squad.

Scuro also praised Pogba’s support for the club’s younger players, particularly through the experience he brought to the group, and wished him well for the next stage of his career.

The announcement ends Pogba’s association with Monaco before the new campaign begins. Although his agreement had included two more years, the club and player have now reached a shared decision to part ways.

Monaco said the initial aims attached to Pogba’s arrival had not been fully realised, but its statement also placed emphasis on the value of his presence at the club. In particular, it recognised his determination to regain his place at the top level after a long absence and his contribution to the development of younger members of the squad.

Share This Article: