Cristiano Ronaldo says this is ‘probably’ his final year in football
Cristiano Ronaldo says this is “probably” his last year as a professional footballer, putting a firm timeline on the end of a career in which he has scored more than 950 goals for club and country.
The 41-year-old Portuguese forward, who has already ended his international career, made the comments in an interview with Vogue magazine published on Sunday.
Ronaldo has previously suggested that retirement could come “soon” or within “one or two years”. However, he now expects the current year to be his final season in football and says he wants the way he leaves the game to reflect the scale of his achievements.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” he told Vogue, adding that his plans for life after football were “all mapped out”.
Ronaldo is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. He has played for Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Al Nassr, while also becoming Portugal’s most prominent footballer.
Asked what he would do once his playing career had finished, Ronaldo said it was difficult to name only one activity because he expected to have plenty to occupy his time.
“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard,” he said, identifying travel and padel as two of his favourite interests.
“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one,” added the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus forward.
Ronaldo also spoke about enjoying the rewards of a career that has demanded a quarter of a century of commitment and sacrifice.
“I want to continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice,” he said.
Ronaldo’s life away from football
Ronaldo married his long-term partner Georgina Rodriguez in an intimate ceremony in the Portuguese resort of Cascais on Tuesday. The couple later showed off their wedding rings.
After guiding Portugal to the last 16 of his final World Cup this summer, Ronaldo is expected to return to Al Nassr for the new Saudi Pro League season.
His decision to retire from international football means the World Cup marked the end of his time with Portugal, while his latest comments indicate that his club career is also approaching its conclusion.
Ronaldo’s next season with Al Nassr could therefore be his final campaign as a professional player. He has not announced an exact retirement date, but his statement to Vogue represents the clearest indication yet that he expects to leave football during the current year.
The forward’s post-playing plans remain broad rather than centred on a single project. Alongside travel and padel, he said he had already considered how to fill the time created by stepping away from football.
With more than 950 goals and a career spanning some of the biggest clubs in Europe and Saudi Arabia, Ronaldo says he is determined to leave what he described as a “spectacular legacy” before bringing his playing days to an end.
