CAF Champions League: We are confident of overturning the scoreline against Sundowns – AS FAR midfielder Khalid Ait Ouarkhane
FAR Rabat midfielder Khalid Ait Ouarkhane insists the Moroccan side remain confident of turning the tie around and lifting the TotalEnergies CAF Champions League title despite trailing Mamelodi Sundowns after the first leg.
The Moroccan giants return to the Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat on Sunday, 24 May, for the decisive second leg of the final, needing to overturn a 1–0 defeat suffered in Pretoria last week.
Ait Ouarkhane believes the contest is still very much alive, with FAR preparing to lean on home support as they chase a historic comeback against one of the continent’s most consistent clubs.
“The second leg will be difficult,” he said in an interview with CAFOnline.com. “We lost the first match, but we are optimistic ahead of the return leg and excited to play. God willing, things will go in our favour.”
FAR Rabat are aiming to capitalise on home advantage as they pursue their first continental crown since 1985, when they lifted their only African title.
The midfielder stressed that the squad has responded positively to the setback in Pretoria, with collective focus on producing a stronger display in the return fixture.
“We are working to make up for the first-leg defeat,” he said. “All the players are contributing to ensure the team is in the best possible condition.”
He also highlighted the contribution of the club’s technical and medical staff in ensuring the squad is physically and mentally prepared for the high-stakes encounter.
According to Ait Ouarkhane, morale within the camp remains high despite the pressure of the occasion, with belief that the tie can still be turned around.
“We are optimistic and motivated,” he added.
Sundowns, however, arrive in Rabat with a slender advantage after their first-leg win, setting up a finely balanced showdown where FAR must deliver a decisive response to keep their continental dream alive.
