Atletico Madrid’s Julian Alvarez faces fresh scrutiny after Villarreal draw

Share This Article:
Atletico Madrid’s Julian Alvarez faces fresh scrutiny after Villarreal draw

Julian Alvarez was booed by Atletico Madrid supporters and chose not to join his team-mates in thanking the fans after Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Villarreal, adding to the uncertainty surrounding the Argentina striker’s future at the club.

The La Liga match, played at the Wanda Metropolitano in the second round of the season, saw Alvarez begin on the bench. Atletico manager Diego Simeone introduced him in the 67th minute, replacing Marc Pubill.

Alvarez was unable to make the expected impact during his time on the pitch. When referee Hernandez brought the match to an end, Atletico’s players walked towards the stands to celebrate with and acknowledge their supporters.

The Argentina international instead made his way alone towards the tunnel leading to the dressing rooms. A supporter threw a shirt towards him from the stands, but Alvarez remained calm and continued towards the changing area without stopping.

He had already been met by loud jeers before entering the game, when his name appeared on the Wanda Metropolitano’s screens and was announced over the stadium’s public-address system. The reaction continued after the final whistle as the striker separated himself from the rest of the Atletico squad.

The scenes highlighted the growing tension around Alvarez, who reportedly wants to leave Atletico before the summer transfer window closes. Atletico are determined to keep the forward, while Alvarez is said to be strongly interested in moving to Barcelona.

The dispute is not limited to the player’s desire to seek a new challenge. Speaking during the match broadcast on Carousel Deportivo, journalist Miguel Martin Talavera said he believed the main issue was the manner in which Alvarez had handled the situation from the beginning.

Talavera claimed Alvarez had “made every possible mistake”. He also argued that Atletico had supported the player when he was a reserve at Manchester City, saying the club “backed him when he was a reserve at Manchester City, gave him a lucrative contract, and offered him every possible opportunity, on and off the pitch”.

The journalist added: “The way things are done is fundamental.” In his view, Alvarez “got the approach wrong, and through that approach he has found himself in the current situation”.

Atletico are expected to make every effort to retain their Argentina striker, a position the club has maintained since the dispute emerged. However, Talavera warned that any continued public display of frustration could make the situation more difficult inside the squad.

“If Julian is going to wear that permanently unhappy face that he usually shows, which makes the dressing room and his team-mates uncomfortable, and they are already unhappy with the situation, simply because he fears that everything will turn against them after a bad performance or a poor result at the Wanda Metropolitano, that will be a problem,” he said.

Talavera concluded that Alvarez’s conduct during the dispute could play a decisive role in shaping the next stage of his Atletico career. The club remains committed to keeping him, while the player continues to seek a fresh experience away from Madrid, with Barcelona the preferred destination.

Share This Article: