Jose Gomes calls for earlier Roshn Saudi League start after Al Khaleej draw

Share This Article:
Jose Gomes calls for earlier Roshn Saudi League start after Al Khaleej draw

Al Khaleej manager Jose Gomes has criticised the congested opening schedule of the 2026-27 Roshn Saudi League, saying his side will face Al Hilal in the third round after having less time to recover than their opponents.

Gomes made the comments after Al Khaleej drew 0-0 with Al Shabab on Saturday in the second round of the season. The Portuguese coach said playing a competitive match every three days was an unusual situation and had created an uneven preparation period ahead of the meeting with Al Hilal.

“The situation is a little strange, and it is certain that those responsible for preparing the league schedule are facing difficulties in organising the matches because of the Gulf Cup and Asian Cup,” Gomes said, according to Saudi newspaper Al Riyadiyah.

He believes the campaign would have started more smoothly had the league begun earlier.

“If the league had started a week earlier, it would have been more comfortable for everyone,” Gomes added. “We are not lucky because we will face Al Hilal after they have had five days of rest, but at the same time all the clubs are suffering from the pressure of the schedule.”

The Al Khaleej manager’s remarks came after a match he described as evenly balanced, with neither side able to find a breakthrough.

Gomes pleased with defensive display

Gomes said the contest against Al Shabab had been shaped by its tactical nature and praised his players for carrying out their defensive responsibilities.

“It was a tactical match, and we were extremely well organised defensively. We did what was required of us,” he said.

The coach also pointed to the conditions as a possible factor in the quality of the game. High humidity, he suggested, made it difficult for both teams to produce their best football.

“The humidity was very high, and it may have affected the quality of the match,” Gomes said. “If the weather conditions had been different, perhaps we would have seen a better level.”

He added: “The draw reflects how close the two teams were.”

Although Al Khaleej had to settle for a point, Gomes viewed the result as a useful start to what he expects to be a demanding season. The team had gone into the match seeking victory, but Al Shabab’s squad also contained players capable of influencing the outcome.

“I see it as a positive point. The season will be difficult, and we have outstanding players and a good team,” Gomes said.

He concluded: “We entered the match wanting to win, but Al Shabab also have players with great quality.”

Al Khaleej will now turn their attention to the third-round meeting with Al Hilal, with Gomes concerned that the difference in recovery time could affect the balance between the teams. However, he acknowledged that fixture congestion is affecting every club at the start of the new Roshn Saudi League campaign.

Share This Article: