All Blacks’ Savea tackle cleared as Rennie backs referee’s decision

Share This Article:
All Blacks’ Savea tackle cleared as Rennie backs referee’s decision

All Blacks coach Dave Rennie has defended referee Matthew Carley’s decision to allow Ardie Savea’s tackle on South Africa number eight Jasper Wiese during New Zealand’s 33-16 victory over the Springboks on Saturday.

The incident was reviewed by the television match official after Savea’s shoulder made contact with Wiese’s face. However, Carley concluded that the contact was legal and that the tackle did not constitute deliberate shoulder-to-head contact.

Savea, New Zealand’s captain, admitted he was anxious while the officials examined the footage, but was relieved when the decision went in the All Blacks’ favour.

Rennie said the referee had made the correct ruling after assessing how the contact occurred.

“Technically, it’s the right call,” Rennie told reporters after the match.

“You’ll see in the footage that when he hits him, his head comes forward.

“That means the first impact’s on the body, then the head comes forward. If the head goes back, the first impact is straight on the head.

“It’s really good refereeing, and good to see at this level,” Rennie said.

Carley’s explanation was based on the movement of Wiese’s head at the point of impact. The referee determined that Wiese’s face moved into Savea’s shoulder because of a whiplash effect, rather than Savea intentionally making direct contact with his opponent’s head.

Savea said the uncertainty during the review had left him concerned, despite believing the tackle should not result in punishment.

“I’ll be pretty biased tonight [but] I’m happy with the decision,” Savea said.

“I was nervous, but they made the decision.

“They made the call, and it worked in our favour.”

The judgment allowed New Zealand to continue a match in which they established a 17-point winning margin over South Africa. For the Springboks, attention now turns to the second Test in Cape Town, which becomes the main focus after their defeat.

New Zealand, meanwhile, must next face the Lions in a midweek match. That fixture will be their final game against the United Rugby Championship franchises.

Rennie’s support for Carley came after the match had included close scrutiny of a tackle that could have had a significant effect on the contest. The TMO review allowed the officials to examine the collision before confirming that Savea’s challenge met the requirements for a legal tackle.

While Savea acknowledged his personal interest in the outcome, he accepted the officials’ decision once it had been made. His comments reflected the tension in the New Zealand camp as the players waited to discover whether the All Blacks captain would face any sanction for the contact with Wiese.

Instead, the ruling stood, and New Zealand’s 33-16 win over South Africa was confirmed. Attention now switches to Cape Town for the Springboks, while the All Blacks prepare for their midweek meeting with the Lions before completing their matches against the United Rugby Championship franchises.

Share This Article: