Barcelona bring back Joao Cancelo as Arsenal step up defender search
Barcelona have re-signed Portugal defender Joao Cancelo on a free transfer, while Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says the Premier League champions remain “active” in the market as they pursue another centre-back.
The Spanish champions confirmed on Thursday that Cancelo had agreed a contract running until 30 June 2029. The 32-year-old ended his deal with Saudi Arabian club Al Hilal to return to Camp Nou.
Cancelo has already spent two loan spells with Barcelona, including the second half of last season, when he helped Hansi Flick’s side retain the La Liga title. He previously played in Portugal, Spain and Italy before moving to Manchester City in 2019.
During the 2023-24 campaign, Cancelo had loan spells at Bayern Munich and Barcelona before joining Al Hilal in 2024.
He is the latest high-profile arrival at Barcelona this summer, following Rodri, Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi. The Catalan club are still seeking a striker after the departures of Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres.
Barcelona had hoped to sign Argentina forward Julian Alvarez from Atletico Madrid, but the Rojiblancos refused to sanction the move. Flick’s side begin their La Liga campaign away at Elche on Sunday.
Arsenal continue defensive recruitment
Across London, Arteta has confirmed Arsenal are trying to strengthen in defence amid reports they have agreed a deal for Aston Villa centre-back Ezri Konsa.
The Gunners are understood to have raised their offer to about £50m ($68m) for the 28-year-old after an earlier bid was rejected. Arsenal briefly turned their attention to Bayer Leverkusen defender Jarell Quansah, but Konsa now appears close to moving to Emirates Stadium.
The England international would provide cover alongside Gabriel Magalhaes, with William Saliba expected to miss an “extended period” because of a back problem and Jurrien Timber recovering from a groin injury.
“ Well, we are really active in the market. I think that I mentioned a few days ago, the ambition is to improve the squad,” Arteta told reporters on Thursday.
“Obviously, we have a specific issue in the background. Especially with the long term injury in Saliba, the fact that we miss one more defender, that’s clear. We are trying to reinforce that area and whenever we are ready we will announce something.
“I am always positive, I am always confident. But it is something I cannot control. It doesn’t just depend on us.”
If completed, Konsa would become Arsenal’s latest summer recruit after Bruno Guimaraes, Christos Tzolis, Piero Hincapie and Illan Meslier.
Those additions have strengthened Arsenal’s squad as they attempt to win successive Premier League titles for the first time since the 1930s. Their title defence begins at home to promoted Coventry on Friday.
Arteta has challenged his players to show they can be compared with the greatest teams in Premier League history by maintaining their standards every day.
“Those teams have an incredible quality, which is to maintain the standards daily at the really highest level. This is the opportunity that we have,” he said.
“I have no questions that our players have the desire and the ambition to do that. Now it is something we have to earn and do daily.”
Arsenal have already lifted silverware this season after beating Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield on Sunday. The result underlined their desire to remain the dominant force in English football.
“I feel good, different, hopefully better. I’m more excited than ever, hungrier than ever,” Arteta said.
“What we need to show is that this desire and ambition is to be better than last season, a month ago or last week when we played Manchester City.
“I sense the enthusiasm around the place and that’s exactly what I want.”
Arteta also said Myles Lewis-Skelly would “100 percent” remain an Arsenal player when the transfer window closes, despite reports linking the versatile teenager with Manchester United and Chelsea.
Gabriel Martinelli and Ethan Nwaneri have reportedly been considering moves in search of more regular first-team football. However, Arteta wants to retain a sizeable squad while Arsenal compete in four competitions.
“I would like to have the squad as big as possible because we know what we are fighting for, how long this is,” he said.
“I have learnt from last year when we got in some difficulty, especially when we have two or three injuries in the same area.
“But the players have to feel important and valued. In order to do that, they need minutes.”
In the accompanying image, Arsenal forward Kai Havertz celebrates with Arteta after the 3-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City, last season’s closest title rivals.
