Enzo Fernandez focused on Chelsea as Manchester City consider midfield move

Share This Article:
Enzo Fernandez focused on Chelsea as Manchester City consider midfield move

Xabi Alonso says Enzo Fernandez has shown an “excellent attitude” since returning to Chelsea and is preparing to start the Premier League season with the club, despite continued speculation over a possible move to Manchester City.

The Argentina midfielder is expected to be involved when Chelsea face Fulham in their opening league fixture on Monday. Alonso said the club was pleased with Fernandez’s contribution during pre-season and that the 25-year-old was currently concentrating on his role at Stamford Bridge.

“Enzo is a Chelsea player. We are happy with him and he is preparing for Monday’s game,” said Alonso during a news conference on Thursday.

Asked whether Fernandez would still be at Chelsea when the summer transfer window closes on 1 September, the Spanish manager responded positively about the player’s current position within the squad.

Alonso added that Fernandez had “settled in very well” since returning to the group after the World Cup and said he had been “training very well”.

“I see him having a very good attitude, and that is what we want,” Alonso said.

Chelsea reached an agreement with Fernandez’s agent, Javier Pastore, at the end of May that would have allowed the player to leave for £120m. The arrangement included a deadline of 14 August for any formal offers to be submitted.

That date passed without an official bid arriving, after which Chelsea informed the player’s camp that Fernandez was not for sale during the current transfer window.

However, his future remains under scrutiny because of Manchester City’s interest. City are looking to strengthen their midfield after Rodri moved to Barcelona and Bernardo Silva left when his contract expired. The club is understood to believe Chelsea could still be open to completing a deal for Fernandez.

Manchester City are also in advanced negotiations over an £85m move for Morocco midfielder Ayoub Bouaddi.

Fernandez’s relationship with Chelsea supporters has added another layer to the uncertainty. He was booed by some fans after coming on as a substitute during Saturday’s 3-1 friendly victory over Real Sociedad, although other supporters responded with applause and chants in his favour.

The reaction remained mixed each time Fernandez touched the ball during the match.

Chelsea nevertheless demonstrated their continued support for the midfielder by handing him the captain’s armband after he replaced Reece James.

Earlier in the summer, Fernandez had tried to secure a transfer to Real Madrid, but those efforts were unsuccessful. The Spanish club later denied that it was interested in signing him.

Reports in Spain have claimed that Chelsea remain privately open to selling Fernandez and have brought in football agent Jorge Mendes to help resolve the player’s situation. Mendes also represents Chelsea winger Pedro Neto.

For now, Alonso’s public position is that Fernandez remains part of his plans, with the midfielder preparing for Monday’s meeting with Fulham as Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign.

Share This Article: