Joao Cancelo targets Barcelona success after sealing return until 2029
Joao Cancelo says he believes Barcelona can “achieve great things” this season after returning to the club on a contract until the summer of 2029.
Barcelona announced on Thursday that the Portugal full-back had joined on a free transfer after terminating his contract with Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal. Cancelo said his return represented the fulfilment of a long-held ambition and that he was determined to help the Catalan club win more major honours.
“When I played here for the first time, I felt bitter because I was unable to win a trophy with this great club,” Cancelo told Barcelona’s official channel.
“Everyone who knows me knows that I have loved this club since I was a child, and it was a dream for me to represent it.”
Cancelo first joined Barcelona for the 2023-24 season, making 42 appearances, scoring four goals and providing five assists. He returned for a second spell last year, featuring in 23 matches, scoring twice and setting up four goals.
The defender said his initial experience at the club had left him with a strong desire to come back and win silverware.
“The first time, we did not win any titles. There was always a feeling inside me telling me that I had to return in order to win a trophy, which is what we achieved last year,” he said.
“I had the opportunity to join during the second half of the season, and we did everything very well. I am very happy to have been here for three years, and I want to give my best to help the club achieve its objectives.”
Barcelona have made several additions to their squad and Cancelo believes the team has the quality to compete strongly, although he warned that the players must remain focused.
“The team is very strong, and we made some very good signings,” he added. “That is football, and we have to keep our feet on the ground and continue working in the same way as we did last year.”
Cancelo also outlined his personal priority after completing his return to Barcelona.
“I have a feeling that we are capable of achieving great things this year. My personal goal is to help my team-mates,” he said.
“There will be matches in which I will not play, but I want to play with all my heart to help the club achieve its objectives.”
Barcelona begin their new La Liga campaign away against Elche on Sunday in the second round of the competition.
Their first-round fixture against Athletic Club will be played at Camp Nou on Thursday, 27 August.
