Rushwin Dortley nearing Kaizer Chiefs return after 18-month injury absence
Kaizer Chiefs defender Rushwin Dortley is edging closer to a return to first-team football after an 18-month spell on the sidelines that has included two operations.
The 24-year-old has not played for Chiefs since 1 March 2025, when they were beaten 1-0 by Mamelodi Sundowns. By the time the Soweto club travel to Richards Bay FC in their next fixture on Wednesday next week, 60 matches will have passed since his last appearance.
Dortley’s long absence began after what then-Chiefs coach Nasreddine Nabi initially described as ‘just a discomfort’. The injury problems proved more serious, however, and the defender has since undergone surgery twice.
He has now resumed training and was involved with the club’s reserve team at the weekend, providing the clearest indication yet that his comeback is progressing. Chiefs are nevertheless taking no chances with his rehabilitation as they work to build up his fitness and match intensity gradually.
Fernando da Cruz, who is currently managing the team, said Dortley’s return had to be handled carefully because of the length of time he had been unavailable.
“We must be patient with Rushwin Dortley because he didn’t play for 18 months, which is long,” said Da Cruz recently.
The coach confirmed that Dortley had already completed both individual and group work, but explained that his training programme continued to be monitored closely by the club’s coaching and medical teams.
“He underwent surgery twice, so we have to be careful.
“We need to get him back to his best and train a little with the group in small sequences.
“For now, he has done individual and collective work, but we manage him every day and every week.
“So, we will go step by step because we don’t want him to have another injury again when he comes back.
“We have to be careful because the injuries he had were serious, but we are in link with the medical staff, so we manage his training load.
“He is a player that I knew two years ago, so I know his quality and how it will be beneficial to the team this season when he comes back.
“It will take time for him to come back, but when he comes back, he will be 100% ready,” said Da Cruz.
The club’s cautious approach reflects the significance of Dortley’s injury history. Although his participation with the reserve side represents an important step, Chiefs have not indicated that he is immediately ready for a return to competitive first-team action.
Dortley’s absence has also affected his international career. His injury problems cost him the opportunity to represent Bafana Bafana at the AFCON finals and the FIFA World Cup.
In the meantime, South Africa have developed further options in his usual left centre-back position. Mbekezeli Mbokazi, Khulumani Ndamane and Samkelo Kabini are now among those competing for a place in the national team.
For Chiefs, Dortley’s eventual return would provide another defensive option, but Da Cruz’s comments make clear that the priority is ensuring the player is fully prepared before he is exposed to the demands of high-intensity first-team football.
