Police probing spitting allegation against Tunisia’s Hannibal Mejbri after Burnley’s win over Leeds United
Lancashire Police have launched an investigation into an alleged spitting incident involving Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri during the second half of Saturday’s Premier League clash against Leeds United at Turf Moor.
The 22-year-old Tunisian international came on as an 83rd-minute substitute in Burnley’s 2-0 victory, but post-match reports surfaced suggesting he was involved in an incident that prompted an official complaint.
The police have since confirmed they are working with the club to determine the circumstances surrounding the allegation.
A police spokesperson said: “Lancashire Police are aware of an alleged incident involving a Burnley player during the second half of the Premier League game between Burnley and Leeds United at Turf Moor yesterday (October 18). We are currently working with Burnley Football Club to establish the facts.”
Burnley have also issued a brief statement, acknowledging awareness of the matter and confirming their cooperation with authorities.
“We are in communication with Lancashire Police as part of their inquiries and will assist in any way necessary to ensure the facts are clarified,” a club representative said.
Leeds United are understood to be aware of the allegation but have declined to make any public comment, while the Football Association has also stated it will not be issuing a statement at this time.
The match itself saw Burnley secure a vital three points to ease their early-season struggles. First-half goals from Lesley Ugochukwu and Loum Tchaouna ensured Vincent Kompany’s men recorded just their second win of the campaign.
The result lifted the Clarets out of the relegation zone, moving them to within one point of Leeds, who sit 15th with eight points from as many matches.
The alleged incident, however, has overshadowed Burnley’s on-field success.
Mejbri, who joined the club from Manchester United earlier this season, has made limited appearances so far but remains a key part of Kompany’s long-term plans.
Lancashire Police are expected to interview witnesses and review video footage as part of their investigation, with further updates to be released once the inquiry concludes.
