Xabi Alonso outlines Cole Palmer revival plan ahead of Chelsea opener

Share This Article:
Xabi Alonso outlines Cole Palmer revival plan ahead of Chelsea opener

Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso says Cole Palmer must return to his very best if the club are to achieve their ambitions this season, with the new head coach focusing on the England international’s fitness, confidence and tactical role.

Palmer, 24, produced outstanding performances during his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge after joining the Blues, but his form dipped during the 2025-2026 campaign as he struggled with injuries and a loss of physical sharpness. The decline contributed to his omission from the England squad for the recent World Cup, only two years after he scored a famous goal for the Three Lions in the Euro 2024 final.

Palmer has now completed a full pre-season under Alonso and is expected to be involved when Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign away to Fulham on Monday. Asked how he intended to help the forward rediscover his best form, Alonso said the initial priority was to ensure the player was fully recovered.

“The first step has to be entirely physical; the player needs to feel completely recovered and be 100% ready so that he can give his maximum on the pitch,” Alonso told the Daily Mail.

Once Palmer reaches that level of fitness, Alonso believes the next stage will be rebuilding his confidence and ensuring he feels comfortable within Chelsea’s tactical structure.

“Once he reaches that readiness and high level of fitness, confidence comes into play; he needs to feel the effectiveness of the system, enjoy his style of play and understand his tactical responsibilities,” Alonso added.

“Cole is truly an exceptional player, and if we want to produce a great Chelsea team, we need to see Cole at his best. That is why we are working on building a strong and stable tactical structure that ensures the ball reaches him in the right spaces and at the right times. When that happens, he will make the difference himself.”

Palmer has previously spoken about his absence from the World Cup, saying the decision gave him extra motivation to prove his ability once again. He also revealed that Alonso contacted him and offered psychological support immediately after England manager Thomas Tuchel announced that he had been left out of the squad.

The gesture was greatly appreciated by Palmer, who also discussed the first conversations he had with the new Chelsea boss.

“I told him that this season represents a decisive stage for everyone and that he can leave a huge mark during this important year we are trying to achieve,” Alonso said.

“But more importantly, I wanted him to feel confident and enjoy the football he plays. It is all of our responsibility to help him reach that.”

Palmer has confirmed that he has fully recovered from his injuries. He admitted that he played several matches last season while suffering from pain in the groin area and said he “should not have played at that time”.

“I feel excellent now; the seven weeks I had off during the summer played a major role in helping me recover, and I am completely ready to start again,” Palmer said.

Chelsea face a busy opening to the 2026-2027 season. After Monday’s trip to Fulham, they host Luton Town in the second round of the League Cup on Thursday before meeting Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday.

Share This Article: