Mourinho leaves Real Madrid line-up exposed in search for dressing-room leaks

Share This Article:
Mourinho leaves Real Madrid line-up exposed in search for dressing-room leaks

Jose Mourinho has put Real Madrid’s players through an unusual early test by telling them the starting line-up for Saturday evening’s La Liga meeting with Espanyol, then announcing publicly that the squad already knows his selection.

The Portuguese manager appeared to challenge the media to discover whether information would quickly emerge from inside Real Madrid’s training base at Valdebebas.

“My first line-up… let’s see who among you [the journalists] has the best contacts,” Mourinho said sarcastically.

He then added: “The players already know who is going to play. It is not my job to hide things. Maybe in two hours the information will reach you.”

Although Mourinho delivered the remarks with a smile, the comments appeared to be more than an exchange of jokes with reporters. According to Spanish newspaper Marca, the manager deliberately decided to test the dressing room at the earliest opportunity.

The exercise was not simply about finding out which players would start against Espanyol. Mourinho’s apparent aim was to measure how quickly the information could travel from the squad to the media – and whether it would leave the club at all.

By revealing that the players had been given the line-up, Mourinho effectively set a trap and waited to see what happened next. The key question was how long it would take for the team news to become public.

The manager is familiar with the damage that leaks can cause at Real Madrid. During his first spell at the club, from 2010 to 2013, leaks from within the squad became one of the most persistent issues faced by his coaching staff.

Team selections, dressing-room details and internal conversations regularly appeared in the media during that period. The situation led to growing suspicion that somebody inside Valdebebas was passing information to journalists.

Rui Faria, who worked as Mourinho’s assistant at the time, later described the strength of those suspicions.

“We knew who the spy was, we were almost certain. Because in the end the answers were there in the newspapers. You cannot prove it, but you are almost certain about how things happen,” he said.

Marcelo, who was part of the Real Madrid squad during that period, also referred to the mystery surrounding the leaks.

“Even now, we want to know who that wretch was who gave away the secret,” the former Brazil international said.

Mourinho therefore does not appear to view leaks as an insignificant issue. His previous experience showed him how quickly they can undermine confidence within a dressing room, create mistrust between players and coaches, and intensify internal divisions, according to Marca.

Thirteen years on, the Portuguese has chosen to examine the situation himself from the beginning of his latest period at Real Madrid. He has said he returned with a different mindset and wanted to get to know the group and work with the players before forming any prior judgements.

The line-up Mourinho told his players about had still not reached the media by Saturday evening. That apparent lack of a leak made the manager’s experiment even more intriguing, while also suggesting that the information remained inside the squad ahead of the game against Espanyol.

Share This Article: