Hugo Broos to decide South Africa future after World Cup exit

Share This Article:
Hugo Broos to decide South Africa future after World Cup exit

South Africa head coach Hugo Broos says he will decide his future in the coming days after Bafana Bafana were eliminated from the 2026 FIFA World Cup by Canada.

The 1996 African champions suffered a 1-0 defeat to the co-hosts on Sunday, conceding in stoppage time to bring their campaign to an agonising end at the Round of 32 stage.

Broos had guided South Africa to a historic achievement by taking them beyond the group stage of a World Cup for the first time. The Belgian, who has been in charge since May 2021, had previously indicated that he intended to step down after the tournament in North America.

Speaking to the media following the defeat, the 74-year-old said he had not yet made a final decision about whether to continue in his role.

“We will see, we will take the decision in the next [few days]. It was a nice World Cup, and it will not be an easy decision, but saying I stop or go, that I can’t,” said Broos after Sunday’s match.

Broos has become the longest-serving Bafana Bafana coach since Clive Barker, who led South Africa to their 1996 AFCON triumph. During his time in charge, Broos also inspired the team to a bronze medal at the 2023 AFCON before completing their run to the World Cup knockout stages.

The experienced coach had previously suggested that retirement might not necessarily mean a complete departure from South African football. He had been considering the possibility of taking up a technical role within the South African Football Association (SAFA), although his latest comments leave open the question of whether he will remain involved at all.

Broos has developed a strong connection with the country during his five years with the national team. One of the most notable examples has been his ability to sing South Africa’s national anthem, ‘Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika’, a gesture that has carried particular emotional significance in a country shaped by its journey from apartheid to constitutional democracy.

His experience of African football extends beyond South Africa. Broos led Cameroon to victory at the 2017 AFCON and has also worked in Algeria with JS Kabylie and NA Hussein Dey, experiences that exposed him to different cultures and football environments across the continent.

South African Sports Minister Gayton McKenzie has called for Broos to remain part of the country’s football structures, regardless of whether he continues as head coach.

“I think for me, we must not just cut Hugo Broos abruptly. He has a lot of football knowledge; he is a master,” McKenzie told FARPost. “I just think that Hugo Broos must still be involved, and we must give him honorary citizenship in our country.

“I think Hugo Broos cannot be lost to our football. He has achieved what no coach has ever achieved in the history of our country. This team has achieved what no national soccer team has ever achieved.”

South Africa’s World Cup squad was heavily dominated by players from Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates, and Broos’ side had appeared set to continue their historic campaign before Canada’s late goal ended their hopes. His decision on whether to remain in charge or move into another role is expected in the next few days.

Share This Article: