Barcelona’s Joao Cancelo comeback set to begin with ‘limited minutes’ under Hansi Flick
Joao Cancelo is set to make his return for Barcelona against Elche on Sunday after being officially registered in La Liga, with manager Hansi Flick indicating that the Portugal international could play a significant role.
Cancelo has trained with Barcelona for only two sessions since completing his return, but Spanish newspaper Sport reports that Flick has already told the defender he will be given “limited minutes” in the league match.
The coaching staff have not ruled out the possibility of Cancelo starting, despite his limited preparation time with the squad. Flick has confirmed that the player is physically ready and could feature immediately after rejoining the club.
“He is ready to play, and yes, he can play tomorrow,” Flick said.
Cancelo’s return also appears to have delivered a clear message to Alejandro Balde, who competes with him for the left-back position. Flick stressed that every member of his squad must fully support the team’s plans.
“I need everyone to be 100% committed to us,” the German manager said.
Flick already knows Cancelo well from their previous work together, giving the Portuguese defender an important advantage despite his late arrival at Barcelona. Although Cancelo’s established position throughout his career has been right-back, Flick has also used him on the left.
That tactical experiment proved successful during Cancelo’s first spell with the club, and the manager has shown confidence in his ability to perform there again.
Flick praised the defender’s technical quality and his attitude, highlighting the contribution he made while operating in an unfamiliar role.
“He has great technique, he has a lot of passion, and he gave us a lot in the position he played. He was always in the right position and at his best, and he helped us a lot,” Flick said.
The manager’s comments have settled questions over Cancelo’s fitness. The player has taken part normally in Barcelona’s group training from his first day back, suggesting that Flick believes he can quickly regain the rhythm required for competitive football.
Cancelo has signed a contract with Barcelona running until 2029 after ending his association with Al-Hilal. His return followed a complicated period of negotiations before the move was completed.
During his official presentation, Cancelo said the previous weeks had been difficult, but he remained focused on one objective: returning to the Catalan club. He added that he would have been prepared to stay in Saudi Arabia for a year without playing if that was what it took to fulfil his ambition of going back to Barcelona.
His potential appearance against Elche would therefore mark the beginning of his latest chapter at Barcelona, with Flick expected to manage his involvement carefully after only two training sessions. The match could also provide an early indication of how the manager intends to balance Cancelo and Balde on the left side of his defence.
