Barcelona move to secure Hamza Abdelkarim as release clause comes under review

Share This Article:
Barcelona move to secure Hamza Abdelkarim as release clause comes under review

Barcelona have started negotiations with Hamza Abdelkarim and his representatives over a new contract, although no agreement has yet been reached with the forward.

The discussions concern improved terms for the Egypt international, with Barcelona also seeking to change the €15m release clause currently included in his contract. Reports last Friday said the Spanish club were considering increasing the figure to €150m.

Transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano confirmed that negotiations had begun in a post on X.

“Barcelona have already started negotiations with Hamza Abdelkarim and his representatives over renewing the player’s contract on improved terms,” Romano wrote.

He added: “Barcelona want to remove the release clause in Hamza’s current contract, which is worth €15m.”

Romano then made clear that the talks were still at an early stage and that neither side had reached an agreement.

“No agreement has been reached between the club and the player so far,” he said. “The matter is not urgent for Barcelona’s officials, but the club wants to resolve the player’s situation.”

Barcelona’s decision to open discussions reflects the importance of Abdelkarim to the squad during the current season. The club currently have no recognised out-and-out striker in their ranks other than Hamza Abdelkarim as the team begins its La Liga campaign.

That situation has increased the significance of the forward’s position within the first-team squad, even though Barcelona are not treating the contract negotiations as an immediate priority. The club’s stated intention is to settle the matter and determine the player’s long-term contractual status.

At present, the key issue is the release clause. The figure of €15m is viewed as the part of the existing agreement Barcelona want to address, while earlier reports indicated that the club could seek to raise it to €150m or remove it altogether under a revised deal.

However, Romano’s update stressed that the talks remain ongoing and that there has been no final agreement over either a new contract or the release-clause arrangements.

The negotiations are therefore focused on securing improved terms for Abdelkarim and providing Barcelona with greater control over his future. For now, the player remains under his current agreement, with the €15m clause still in place unless the two parties reach a new understanding.

Barcelona have made the first formal move by beginning discussions with Abdelkarim’s camp, but the club and the player must still agree on the details before any renewal can be completed.

Share This Article: