Saudi PIF could keep Al Nassr as Ronaldo takeover hopes face fresh uncertainty
Cristiano Ronaldo’s ambition to help take control of Al Nassr has been thrown into doubt after Saudi media presenter Walid Al-Farraj suggested the club could remain under the ownership of the Public Investment Fund (PIF).
Speaking on his programme Rotana Sport with Walid on the Rotana Khalijia channel, Al-Farraj said he did not expect the Saudi sovereign wealth fund to acquire any additional clubs after completing its ownership arrangements involving the country’s four leading sides.
“I do not believe that the Saudi Public Investment Fund will acquire new clubs after ending its ownership of the four major clubs,” Al-Farraj said.
He added that the PIF could withdraw from Al Hilal and two other clubs while retaining control of only one team.
“The Public Investment Fund may exit its ownership of Al Hilal and two other clubs, and remain with one club. I expect that club to be Al Nassr, which could remain the club owned by the fund if they do not find an investor for it,” he said.
The comments come despite several reports of an investment alliance involving Cristiano Ronaldo that is understood to be interested in acquiring ownership of Al Nassr in the coming period.
Ronaldo, who is captain of the Riyadh-based club, has been at the centre of speculation about a potential change in ownership. The latest remarks from Al-Farraj suggest that any planned takeover could face an additional obstacle if the PIF decides to retain Al Nassr rather than transfer it to private investors.
The Saudi Ministry of Sport announced on Wednesday that its 25% ownership stakes in the country’s four major clubs Al Hilal, Al Nassr, Al Ittihad and Al Ahli had been transferred to the Public Investment Fund.
According to reports in the Saudi media, the move represents the second stage of the country’s club privatisation programme. Full ownership of the clubs is expected to pass to the private sector in the coming period.
Al Hilal is currently the only one of the four major clubs reported to have left the PIF’s ownership structure. There are expectations that Al Nassr, Al Ittihad and Al Ahli could follow in the coming period.
The ownership changes form part of wider efforts to reshape the structure of Saudi football’s leading clubs, although the latest reports leave uncertainty over whether Al Nassr will be sold or continue to be controlled by the PIF.
The story was accompanied by promotional material for Saudi Pro League match tickets and an invitation for readers to discuss the issue on the Kooora forums. Al-Farraj’s comments were also shared on social media by the Rotana Sport with Walid programme.
