Mourinho keeps Real Madrid return under wraps in bid to avoid first-spell mistakes
Jose Mourinho has asked Real Madrid to avoid any formal unveiling for his return as head coach, seeking to keep a low profile and prevent a repeat of the problems that brought his first spell at the club to an end.
Real Madrid announced Mourinho’s appointment two months ago, but neither the Portuguese manager nor the club’s new signings have been officially presented. The six arrivals include Bernardo Silva and Marc Cucurella, who joined the squad alongside four other new players.
According to Hector Gonzalez, speaking on the Carrusel Deportivo programme, Real Madrid do not plan to stage presentation events for any of the new arrivals or for Mourinho.
“Real Madrid play away to Espanyol on Saturday in the opening match of La Liga, then host Real Sociedad on the 26th of the month,” Gonzalez said. “That will be the first time the Bernabeu supporters see the six new players and Mourinho on the pitch.”
He added that the decision had come directly from Mourinho, who had previously been required by Benfica to appear regularly in front of the media but now wants to step away from the spotlight entirely.
The approach marks a significant contrast with Mourinho’s first period at Real Madrid, when his public profile and confrontational press conferences became a major part of the club’s identity. The 26 August match against Real Sociedad is now expected to serve as the first occasion on which supporters see Mourinho and the new signings together at Santiago Bernabeu.
Spanish journalist Tomas Roncero said Mourinho understood the impact of his own personality and wanted to avoid creating unnecessary distractions.
“Perhaps he believes he has already been presented to the club, and he knows perfectly well the impact he has,” Roncero said. “He is not an ordinary coach. Apart from his footballing credentials, as one of the great figures in the game, he has a distinctive personality. We know that in press conferences he can be asked about countless issues, and he may end up being a little sharp.”
Mourinho has so far limited his public comments to brief appearances for Real Madrid’s own media channels before returning home.
“That is why he is remaining silent for now, giving only a few minutes of comments to the club’s media before going home,” Roncero said. “If he maintains that calm throughout the season, it will not be a bad thing for Real Madrid.”
Roncero acknowledged that the reduced media access could diminish the excitement surrounding Mourinho’s return, particularly for journalists who rely on comments from managers and players. However, he believes the strategy could help Mourinho avoid the mistakes that damaged his first tenure.
“For us as journalists, this is bad because we make our living from what players and coaches tell us,” he said. “But I think he understands that reducing his media appearances may stop him repeating the errors he made during his first spell. Especially in his third year, which was his worst, and which led to his departure.”
The change is expected to affect Mourinho’s public presence rather than his methods inside the club. Roncero said the manager remained demanding in training and preparation, with the same close attention to detail and emphasis on maintaining player motivation.
“Behind closed doors, he is still the demanding Mourinho who prepares matches with great passion, examines every detail and keeps the players fully motivated,” Roncero said. “Inside the dressing room, he remains strict and demands a high level of discipline. Things are continuing as usual, but outside it, we will see him much less in the media and in front of journalists.”
