Cesc Fabregas hits out after Assane Diao injury as AFCON call-up row erupts
Cesc Fabregas has openly criticised Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw after Assane Diao suffered an injury on the eve of joining the national team for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Diao picked up the injury during Como’s 1-0 defeat to AS Roma, just hours before he was due to travel to join Senegal for the tournament in Morocco, scheduled to run from December 21, 2025 to January 18, 2026.
The 20-year-old left the pitch on a stretcher after only half an hour of play, prompting immediate concern from his club.
Speaking at full time, Fabregas did not hide his frustration and described the injury as a flexor muscle problem.
The Como coach said he had previously contacted the Senegal setup in an attempt to protect the young forward, who had played only three matches in eight months.
“I injured him in the flexor muscle,” Fabregas said. “I fully support national teams and I want players to represent their countries.
I asked for a favour and asked them not to take him because he had played just three matches in eight months.”
Fabregas then revealed the response he received from Senegal coach Pape Thiaw, which he described as deeply troubling.
“The answer I got was that if he didn’t go, he wouldn’t go to the World Cup,” Fabregas said.
“That was unpleasant. When a 20-year-old player plays with fear even though he has his entire career ahead of him, that’s a mistake.”
The former Arsenal and Barcelona midfielder admitted he still selected Diao for the Roma match despite his concerns, explaining the reasoning behind the decision.
“He probably shouldn’t have played today either,” Fabregas said. “But he was leaving the next day and I wouldn’t have him for five weeks. Since we pay his salary, I let him play a bit for us.”
Fabregas also confirmed that discussions with Thiaw grew tense and insisted the situation placed unfair pressure on the player.
“He told me clearly that if Diao didn’t come with them, he wouldn’t go to the World Cup,” Fabregas said.
“That’s not fair and it’s even regrettable.”
The comments from Fabregas underlined his anger and concern for Diao’s welfare, as the injury now casts doubt over the winger’s availability for the Africa Cup of Nations.
