Zamalek deny contact with John Edward over return as sporting director
Zamalek have denied reports that they have contacted John Edward about returning to his former role as the club’s sporting director.
A source within Zamalek told FilGoal.com that there had been no communication with Edward aimed at persuading him to resume the position, while calling on media organisations and supporters to check information before sharing it.
“There is no truth to what is being circulated in this regard concerning John Edward. We ask the media and fans to verify information before publishing anything related to the club, and the board of directors will confront any false news or information that could affect its stability,” the source said.
Edward resigned as Zamalek’s sporting director after taking charge of the club’s football affairs for one season. The latest reports had suggested that the club’s management might seek to bring him back, but the source rejected those claims.
Zamalek are preparing for the start of the Egyptian Premier League, with their opening fixture against Al Ittihad Alexandria scheduled for Friday, 21 August, at Cairo International Stadium.
The club finished last season as champions of the Egyptian Premier League, securing the title for the 15th time in their history. They also reached the final of the CAF Confederation Cup, where they lost to Algerian side USM Alger on penalties.
The club source said Zamalek’s board would take action against inaccurate reports that could affect the stability of the club. No further details were provided about Edward’s resignation or any possible changes to the sporting director position.
Zamalek’s immediate focus is therefore on the beginning of their league campaign and the meeting with Al Ittihad Alexandria. The fixture will be played at Cairo International Stadium on 21 August, as the Egyptian champions begin their attempt to build on last season’s domestic success.
Their previous campaign ended with two significant achievements: a 15th Egyptian Premier League title and a place in the CAF Confederation Cup final. However, the continental campaign concluded in disappointment when USM Alger prevailed in the penalty shootout.
The club’s denial leaves Edward’s position unchanged, with no return agreement in place according to the source. Zamalek have also urged supporters and media outlets not to rely on unverified information concerning the club or its management.
