Liverpool boss Iraola says squad can challenge despite need for wide reinforcements

Share This Article:
Liverpool boss Iraola says squad can challenge despite need for wide reinforcements

Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola says his side can compete from the beginning of the season, despite the club still needing to add players in wide positions before the transfer window closes.

Liverpool begin their Premier League campaign away to Newcastle United on Sunday, with Iraola acknowledging that the squad is not yet fully complete.

“Some situations are clear on the wing, we need specific players for that. Other positions, we have to be open-minded to situations that can improve our team,” Iraola said.

“I wanted the players for the first day of pre-season, with every position covered and top-level players throughout.

“But you understand how the competition works, that the market is open when you start the season…

“You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning.”

Liverpool have recruited centre-back Jeremy Jacquet and forward Victor Munoz during the close season, while defender Ronald Araujo has arrived on loan.

However, the club have also lost several important players. Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate have departed, while midfielder Curtis Jones is expected to leave. Forward Hugo Ekitike is among a number of players currently unavailable because of injury.

Liverpool have been linked with Paris Saint-Germain forward Bradley Barcola and Brighton & Hove Albion winger Yankuba Minteh as they continue to reshape their squad.

Iraola, a 44-year-old Spaniard, has replaced Arne Slot, who guided Liverpool to the Premier League title in his first season after succeeding Juergen Klopp in 2024. Slot’s second campaign ended in disappointment, with the club finishing fifth.

Liverpool ended last season 25 points behind champions Arsenal, despite spending about £400m (R8.7bn) on new signings.

Iraola said he had sensed growing anticipation around the club as the first league fixture approached.

“I feel excited,” Iraola said. “I can feel it even in the atmosphere when we train with the players, you feel like this week is a little bit different…”

Sunday’s match will have added significance for Alexander Isak, who is set to return to St James’ Park for the first time since leaving Newcastle United for Liverpool.

The Sweden international completed a British record £125m (2.7bn) move after a prolonged transfer saga last year. Isak had been frozen out of Newcastle’s first-team squad while awaiting his move to Merseyside.

His first season at Liverpool was disrupted by injury, and he scored four goals and provided one assist in 22 appearances.

“It’s always special when you play against your old team in their stadium,” Iraola said.

“I think he is in a very good place. He has been training every day and adding more and more minutes with each friendly game.

“I think he had a very good World Cup in terms of availability and fitness levels, and I want to keep him there for as long as we can. We know his level and, if we can keep him there, he will score goals and give us a lot.”

Newcastle will also begin a new era on Sunday under German manager Matthias Jaissle, following the departure of Eddie Howe.

Share This Article: