French-Beninese defender Jules Kounde announces new Barcelona contract until 2030

Share This Article:
French-Beninese defender Jules Kounde announces new Barcelona contract until 2030

Jules Kounde has confirmed he will sign a contract extension with FC Barcelona that will keep him at the club until 2030.

The French international made the announcement during a press interaction in South Korea, where the team is currently on preseason tour.

Kounde, who is of Beninese descent, had been the subject of speculation earlier in the summer, particularly concerning his preferred position on the pitch.

However, the 26-year-old made it clear he is fully committed to the Catalan club’s long-term vision. “Everything is ready to renew until 2030 when we return to Barcelona. It was fast,” Kounde told Marca after Wednesday’s training session in Seoul.

“The club and I had the same idea of staying. I’m very happy, I feel comfortable with the team, with the ambition, and I’m very grateful to be at an institution where we fight for every title every year. I had no intention of leaving.”

Despite playing most of last season as a right-back, a role he has publicly admitted is not his favourite, Kounde expressed satisfaction with the club’s plans under new manager Hansi Flick.

“Nothing is set in stone in football,” he said. “I’m always available to the coach… I’ll always feel more like a centre-back, because I was trained as one, but I’m happy.”

Kounde also commented on the absence of club captain Marc-André ter Stegen, who recently underwent surgery and is expected to be sidelined for four months.

He refrained from speculating about any leadership reshuffle. “The question of the captaincy isn’t one for me… It depends on what the club wants to do.”

The announcement of Kounde’s extension was originally planned before Barcelona’s preseason departure but was delayed following the arrival of Marcus Rashford. It is now expected to be formalised once the team returns to Spain.

Share This Article: