Springboks raise breakdown concerns ahead of first All Blacks Test

Share This Article:
Springboks raise breakdown concerns ahead of first All Blacks Test

Springboks assistant coach Felix Jones says South Africa have raised concerns about player safety after consulting the Stormers, Sharks and Bulls following their recent matches against New Zealand.

The main issue identified by the South African franchises was the use of tucked shoulders when players cleared out at the breakdown, with the first Test between the Springboks and All Blacks taking place at Ellis Park on Saturday.

Jones said South Africa’s management had spoken to the three franchises after their clashes with New Zealand and found several common themes in the feedback.

“A couple of things caught the franchises out, and a couple of themes were consistent across the feedback,” Jones told reporters on Tuesday.

“One was around the breakdown, where they experienced tucked shoulders going in, which the franchises weren’t happy with, and a reversed-arm non-wrapping action.”

The comments add to an increasingly pointed exchange between the two teams before the opening Test. Since arriving in South Africa, New Zealand have repeatedly called for referees to allow the game to move faster, a style that fits their preference for attacking rugby played at pace and with the ball in hand.

South Africa, however, have made clear that they are equally prepared to draw attention to areas they believe need closer scrutiny when facing the All Blacks.

Jones said New Zealand’s approach under head coach Dave Rennie has traditionally placed a strong emphasis on speed and physicality at the breakdown.

“We’ve coached against Dave Rennie (All Blacks head coach) with Glasgow and with Australia, and the word ‘brutal’ follows his coaching, and there are some amazing elements to how quickly they get their ruck speed going.

“But World Rugby’s number one priority is safety, so we just want to make sure that physicality and brutality stay within the laws.”

Jones also pointed to New Zealand’s work at the maul, claiming the All Blacks had attempted to lift the attacking side’s legs and had sometimes gone off their feet.

He said the Stormers, Sharks and Bulls had been encouraged by the attacking positions they created against New Zealand, particularly when they reached areas around 10 metres from the try-line and secured several lineout opportunities.

“The other was that the franchises were actually quite happy with the opportunities they created, getting into scoring positions around 10m out, with multiple lineout opportunities there,” Jones said.

“But they were frustrated they couldn’t score from the driving maul. It’s tough when there’s someone pulling or trying to lift a leg or going off their feet. Those were probably the two main themes.

“We’re all for the physical side of the game, as everyone is aware. We just want it to be within the laws. So, we’re aware of it going into the game.”

The verbal exchanges will give way to the opening Test on Saturday, when the Springboks and All Blacks meet at Ellis Park.

Kick-off is at 17:10.

Share This Article: