Tom Saintfiet could leave his role as Mali head coach before his contract expires in August amid reports of internal tensions within the country’s football authorities.
The Belgian, appointed to lead the national side, is said to be dissatisfied with the current situation surrounding the Malian Football Federation (FEMAFOOT).
His agreement is due to run until next summer, but sources suggest his tenure may be cut short.
According to French journalist Romain Molina, the atmosphere within FEMAFOOT has become increasingly strained.
The same source points to several factors behind the unrest, including reported delays in salary payments.
Saintfiet is also said to be dealing with interference from the Ministry of Sports, as well as internal power struggles within the federation itself.
These developments come against the backdrop of wider instability in Malian football.
The situation has been further complicated by the crisis that followed the resignation of the executive committee previously led by Mamoutou Touré.
Mali 🇲🇱 : Tom Saintfiet sur le départ
Une situation complexe entre retards de paiement, ingérence du directeur général du ministère des Sports et plusieurs courants désireux de récupérer la sélection
Les informations pour @snewsafrica https://t.co/nufe5kybyJ
— Romain Molina (@Romain_Molina) February 17, 2026
That departure has left uncertainty at the top of the governing body and added to concerns over the direction of the sport in the country.
While no official statement has been issued by FEMAFOOT regarding Saintfiet’s future, speculation continues over whether he will remain in charge through to the end of his contract.
The unfolding events place Mali’s national team in a delicate position, with questions now hanging over leadership stability as administrative challenges persist behind the scenes.






