Tunisia’s Hannibal Mejbri charged by FA for alleged spitting incident against Leeds United

Share This Article:
Tunisian midfielder Hannibal Mejbri faces investigation over alleged spitting incident in Premier League

Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri has been charged by the Football Association for allegedly spitting towards Leeds United supporters during a Premier League game last month.

The Tunisian international, 22, was introduced as an 83rd-minute substitute in Burnley’s 2-0 victory at Turf Moor.

However, the charge relates to an incident said to have occurred around the 67th minute, before his entry onto the field.

Mejbri, who joined Burnley from Manchester United, is alleged to have spat in the direction of Leeds fans seated in the away end.

Lancashire Police confirmed they began an investigation after receiving a complaint from a Leeds supporter present at the match.

A police spokesperson said: “Lancashire Police are aware of an alleged incident involving a Burnley player during the second half of the Premier League game between Burnley and Leeds United at Turf Moor.

“We are currently working with Burnley Football Club to establish the facts.”

The FA has since issued a formal charge against Mejbri, stating that his behaviour may have breached multiple regulations.

“It is alleged the player acted in breach of the laws of the game and/or in an improper manner and/or used abusive and/or indecent behaviour by spitting at or in the direction of Leeds United supporters around the 67th minute,” the statement read.

The midfielder has until Friday, 28 November, to respond to the charge.

Burnley have yet to comment publicly on the development, while the player himself has not issued a statement.

If found guilty, Mejbri could face a suspension similar to the six-game ban handed to Norwich City’s Borja Sainz in January for a comparable offence.

The FA’s disciplinary committee will now review the evidence and determine the appropriate sanction.

The outcome could rule Mejbri out of several key fixtures as Burnley continue their battle for survival in the Premier League.

Share This Article: