Senegal captain Kalidou Koulibaly dismisses Sadio Mané retirement talk
Senegal captain Kalidou Koulibaly has firmly rejected suggestions that Sadio Mané is set to retire from international football, insisting the forward still has a key role to play for the national team.
In an interview with lemediacarre, Koulibaly dismissed speculation surrounding Mané’s future, despite earlier comments made by the forward during the Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco, where he had hinted at the possibility of stepping away from international duty.
For Koulibaly, such an outcome is not under consideration. He described Mané as an essential figure within the Senegal squad, both for his influence on the pitch and his status beyond it.
The captain emphasised that the forward remains central to the team’s ambitions and continues to offer significant value.
“Sadio Mané who takes international retirement? That is not true,” Koulibaly said. “I will not let him do it and I hope he will not. We need him for the image of Senegal and for his talent. He is capable of giving us a few more years.”
The captain also played down concerns related to Mané’s age or long-term role, suggesting the attacker is still well-positioned to contribute at the highest level. “He is not a defender, after all. He can still score us a few goals,” he added.
Reflecting on Mané’s earlier remarks, Koulibaly suggested they may have been made in the heat of the moment rather than representing a firm decision.
While acknowledging the possibility that the forward had been serious, he maintained that the team would not accept his departure easily.
“Maybe he spoke in the heat of the moment. Or maybe he was serious,” Koulibaly said. “But we are not going to let him leave like that.”
Mané, who currently plays for Al-Nassr, remains one of Senegal’s most influential players, and Koulibaly’s comments underline the squad’s determination to keep him involved as they look ahead to future competitions.
Related To This Article
-
Africans Abroad
Napoli linked with Manchester United forward Joshua Zirkzee in Serie A move
August 19, 2026
-
Africans Abroad
Jackson linked with Napoli switch after Chelsea return
August 19, 2026
-
Latest News
Cameroon celebrate first title as Women’s World Cup 2027 line-up takes shape
August 19, 2026
-
Africans Abroad
Napoli’s Nosa Obaretin emerges as Sturm Graz transfer target
August 19, 2026
-
Latest News
Senegal goalkeeper Serigne Diouf begins professional career in UAE
August 19, 2026
-
Latest News
Algeria coach Benstiti bereaved after historic 2026 Women’s AFCON run
August 19, 2026
-
Napoli linked with Manchester United forward Joshua Zirkzee in Serie A move Aug 19, 2026
-
Jackson linked with Napoli switch after Chelsea return Aug 19, 2026
-
Cameroon celebrate first title as Women’s World Cup 2027 line-up takes shape Aug 19, 2026
-
Napoli’s Nosa Obaretin emerges as Sturm Graz transfer target Aug 19, 2026
-
AFCON 2025: Fixtures, Results, Scores and Standings Jan 18, 2026
-
Leadership and long-term vision key to rescuing Zamalek and inspiring Egyptian football – Hany Abou Rida Nov 5, 2025
-
South African giants Orlando Pirates set to lose influential forward Monnapule Saleng Mar 19, 2025
-
Full schedule for 2025 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco confirmed Feb 12, 2025
-
WAFCON 2026: Fixtures, results, scores and standings Aug 16, 2026
-
Rwanda football federation president Fabrice Shema arrested over bounced cheque allegation Aug 12, 2026
-
Sunderland in talks over potential Visit Ghana shirt sponsorship deal Aug 12, 2026
-
CAF confirms competition timeline and calendar for 2026/27 season Aug 12, 2026
