It’s a shame Lamine Yamal will not play against Newcastle United – Eddie Howe

Share This Article:
It’s a shame Lamine Yamal will not play against Newcastle United – Eddie Howe

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe says “it’s a shame” Barcelona will be without teenage sensation Lamine Yamal when the two sides meet at St James’ Park on Thursday in the UEFA Champions League.

Yamal, born in Spain to a Moroccan father and an Equatorial Guinean mother, has been one of Barcelona’s brightest prospects, but he has been ruled out of the trip to England after suffering a recurrence of a groin injury picked up on international duty with Spain earlier this month.

His absence was confirmed on Wednesday morning when the travelling squad, which also omitted Alejandro Balde, Gavi and Marc-André ter Stegen, was announced.

The 18-year-old winger, who is on the 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist, took last season’s Champions League by storm with a string of dazzling displays as Barça reached the semi-finals.

He has continued that form domestically this term, scoring twice and providing three assists in three LaLiga appearances.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Howe admitted Yamal’s unavailability was a disappointment but stressed that Barcelona still possess serious threats.

“For me it’s a shame he’s not playing, disappointed we don’t get to see him at his best,” Howe said. “But whoever they play, they have real pace in wide areas, international players who will challenge us in different ways.

“So I think structurally our team performance has got to be really strong. We have to defend well in wide area, we are looking forward to that battle.”

With Yamal sidelined, Hansi Flick could again deploy summer signing Roony Bardghji on the right after he started in the 6-0 win over Valencia, while Raphinha, Ferran Torres or even Robert Lewandowski are other options to reshape Barcelona’s front line for the St James’ Park showdown.

Share This Article: