FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi withdraws support for Gianni Infantino

Share This Article:
FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi withdraws support for Gianni Infantino

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has lost the backing of one of the organisation’s vice-presidents after the dismissal of senior official Kevin Lamour was described as the “final straw”.

Sandor Csanyi, a FIFA vice-president and council member from Hungary, told Infantino that he had “lost the confidence I previously placed in you” in a letter sent on Tuesday and seen by AFP on Wednesday.

Csanyi said his belief that Infantino could continue to lead FIFA “successfully and effectively” had been undermined by a series of controversial decisions.

The letter specifically referred to developments surrounding this year’s World Cup and information that Infantino had been working “on plans to outsource FIFA competitions and place them in the hands of external parties”.

It also criticised the handling of a proposed plan to allow private investment in World Cups. That proposal has since been abandoned following opposition from several senior figures within world football.

“The final straw was the unexpected dismissal of Kevin Lamour,” Csanyi wrote, saying the decision “points to serious shortcomings in professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership”.

Lamour, a Frenchman who had been FIFA’s chief operating officer, had openly challenged Infantino after breaking ranks with senior directors last month.

He issued a strongly worded statement criticising the proposed sale of stakes in World Cups, describing it as “the project of one person”. Lamour also said the FIFA administration had been “deceived” about the plan.

“Our mission the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees is to serve football. A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite,” he said.

Lamour indicated that he understood his comments could cost him his position at FIFA, but said he was prepared to accept the consequences.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

His dismissal has since prompted further criticism of FIFA’s leadership.

On Tuesday, UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister said the decision sent a “deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change”.

UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC have also accused FIFA of a “fundamental breach of trust” and “deception” in relation to the way plans to sell stakes in World Cups were managed. The three confederations had criticised Infantino over the issue.

Csanyi is a billionaire businessman and banker, as well as president of the Hungarian Football Federation (MLSZ). His withdrawal of support represents a significant challenge to Infantino, whose presidency has continued to attract controversy.

The FIFA president now faces public criticism from figures representing several of football’s major governing bodies, alongside opposition from within FIFA’s own senior leadership.

Share This Article: