Cameroonian Footballer Albert Ebossé Killed by Projectile Thrown by Fans
BBC-style report – under 500 words
Tragedy struck Algerian football on Saturday evening as Cameroonian striker Albert Ebossé died after being struck by a projectile reportedly thrown by his own team’s supporters.
The 24-year-old, who played for JS Kabylie in the Algerian top division, was fatally injured shortly after his team’s 2-1 home defeat to USM Alger in Tizi Ouzou. According to club and media reports, the incident occurred as players were leaving the pitch, with Ebossé hit in the head by an object hurled from the stands.
News of his death was confirmed by the club on Sunday morning, sending shockwaves through the African footballing world.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) reacted swiftly, condemning the act in the strongest terms. In a statement on the CAF website, its president Issa Hayatou expressed deep sorrow and called for immediate and firm action.
“My thoughts go first to the family and loved ones of this young man, who only wanted to live his passion for football in peace,” said Hayatou, who is himself Cameroonian. “Albert Ebossé had chosen to make football his profession, a path that took him far from his homeland.”
Hayatou called for exemplary sanctions, warning that African football must not tolerate violence in its stadiums.
“African football cannot be a breeding ground for any kind of hooliganism,” he said. “We expect exemplary sanctions to be taken, because violence has no place in African football—or in sport in general.”
He added that CAF would work closely with national federations and clubs to strengthen security measures and promote respect and sportsmanship among supporters.
Ebossé, who was born in Douala, had previously played in Cameroon and Malaysia before joining JS Kabylie in 2013. He quickly established himself as one of the club’s top scorers and a rising star in North African football.
Tributes have poured in from across the continent, with fans, players, and officials mourning the loss of a young talent whose career was cut tragically short.
Algerian authorities have launched an investigation into the incident, and the stadium has been temporarily closed pending the outcome. JS Kabylie has suspended all footballing activities in the wake of the tragedy.
The incident has reignited debates around fan violence and security in African football, with many calling for stricter regulations and improved stadium management to protect players and fans alike.
CAF’s strong condemnation and demand for sanctions mark a turning point in the effort to curb hooliganism in the sport, as the footballing community grapples with the devastating consequences of unchecked aggression in stadiums.
Albert Ebossé is survived by his partner and young child. His body will be repatriated to Cameroon in the coming days.