Chris Mto’s knee injury ended chance to train with Orlando Pirates
Former Mamelodi Sundowns prospect Chris Mto says a fresh knee injury ended his chance to train with Orlando Pirates’ development side and confirmed that his body could no longer support his hopes of a career in football.
The Gqeberha-born player, who recently announced his retirement at the age of 21 after persistent injury problems, had travelled to Gauteng earlier this month for an assessment with the Pirates development team, formerly known as Pele Pele.
Mto had been preparing for the opportunity and believed he was ready to try to earn a place within the Orlando Pirates setup. However, his knee became swollen after a training session, leaving him in severe pain and unable to walk.
“Earlier this month, I was in Gauteng and it had been arranged for me to go for an assessment at Pele Pele. Everything was going well with my own training and in preparation for that, and I felt that I was ready for the assessment at Pirates,” Mto told Soccer Laduma.
“Then, on this other Monday after training, my knee just got swollen. It was so painful and I couldn’t walk. So, I had to go back home. That was one of the reasons I came to the realisation that this football thing wasn’t working for me, hence I decided to call it quits.”
The setback proved especially difficult because Mto had felt he was ready to take the next step in his career. The planned assessment represented a potential route into the Pirates development structure, but the latest problem forced him to reassess whether he could continue playing.
Instead of competing for an opportunity at the club, Mto returned home and made the decision to walk away from football. The injury became a defining moment in a difficult period marked by repeated physical setbacks.
His retirement brings an early end to the career of a player who had been regarded as a prospect at Mamelodi Sundowns. At 21, Mto had hoped the assessment with Pirates could provide another chance to continue his development, but his latest knee problem made that possibility unrealistic.
The former Sundowns prospect has spoken further about his experience, his long battle with injuries and the circumstances behind his retirement in an interview with Soccer Laduma.
The full account appears in the latest edition of the publication, Issue 1488, which carries Mto’s explanation of his decision to end his football career.
Mto’s story is presented as an emotional account of the physical difficulties that ultimately prevented him from pursuing the game. His planned assessment with Pirates had offered renewed hope, but the injury suffered during training left him facing the reality that he could no longer continue.
Soccer Laduma has encouraged readers to buy the issue to read the full interview and the story behind Mto’s decision to call time on his career.
