Cheikhou Kouyaté fails Leeds United medical, transfer collapses

Issa Said

Cheikhou Kouyaté fails Leeds United medical transfer collapses Cheikhou Kouyaté fails Leeds United medical transfer collapses   Cheikhou Kouyaté fails Leeds United medical transfer collapses   AfricaSoccercom

Senegalese midfielder Cheikhou Kouyaté has missed a crucial opportunity to reignite his football career after being without a club for over three months. Leeds United had expressed interest in the veteran player, but a failed medical test has dashed his hopes of joining the Championship side.

According to reports from Football Insider, Kouyaté, a key figure in Senegal’s 2021 AFCON victory, was being considered by Leeds United as a potential replacement for injured midfielders Ethan Ampadu and Ilia Gruev.

Both players are facing extended spells on the sidelines, leaving the club in need of experienced reinforcements.

Kouyaté’s versatility and wealth of experience in English football made him an attractive option for Leeds.

Having previously played for Premier League sides West Ham United, Crystal Palace, and most recently Nottingham Forest, Kouyaté’s resume boasts a depth of experience that could have been invaluable to Leeds’ campaign to return to the Premier League.

Currently sitting fifth in the Championship, Leeds are in the thick of the promotion race, and a seasoned player like Kouyaté was seen as a potential asset.

However, the move fell through after Kouyaté underwent medical tests that did not yield satisfactory results.

Leeds’ medical team advised against proceeding with the transfer, citing concerns over the player’s fitness.

As a result, the club’s management decided to explore other options to bolster their midfield.

Kouyaté has been without a club since his contract with Nottingham Forest expired on July 1, leaving him in limbo as he searches for his next challenge.

At 34 years old, the midfielder is keen to extend his career, but his recent injury struggles seem to be hindering his prospects.

Leeds, despite recognizing the value of his experience, were unwilling to take the risk, especially as they focus on securing promotion back to the Premier League.

For Kouyaté, the setback is significant. A staple of Senegal’s national team, the midfielder has not been called up since March, in part due to his club situation.

With 92 international caps and two goals for Senegal, including a memorable strike in the 2021 AFCON quarter-final against Equatorial Guinea, Kouyaté has been a vital figure for the Lions.

However, his prolonged absence from competitive football may further complicate his chances of a national team recall, especially with fierce competition for places in the squad.

Earlier in the year, Kouyaté was linked with a move to Turkish side Trabzonspor, but that deal also failed to materialize.

For now, the former Senegal captain remains a free agent, with his future uncertain as he seeks a new club to revive his career.

At this stage in his career, patience may be Kouyaté’s greatest ally. While his extensive Premier League experience speaks for itself, the challenge will be proving his fitness to potential suitors.

Tags

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

# Related Post

Komlan Amewou Komlan Amewou   Amewou hoping to seize chance at Nimes after difficult season   AfricaSoccercom

Amewou hoping to seize chance at Nimes after difficult season

Nimes midfielder Komlan Amewou is approaching the new Ligue 2 season with renewed optimism after a frustrating last campaign at the club. In an exclusive interview, the Togo international said he has a point to prove this term after struggling for game time under former coach Thierry Froger. “I feel good compared to last year when I played very little and the coach had very little confidence in me,” the 28-year-old told AfricaSoccer.com. “Today, I have all the cards in hand to prove my talent. It was up to me to show him and everyone else that I was better than that.” Amewou believes new manager Victor Zvunka, who returned

Read More »
 IMG 20250831 WA0009   Gianni Infantino reassures African fans on travel and safety ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup   AfricaSoccercom

Gianni Infantino reassures African fans on travel and safety ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has sought to ease concerns among African supporters about safety, visas, and hospitality in the United States ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Speaking at a press briefing in Nairobi on Saturday, Infantino faced questions from African journalists who highlighted the unease felt by many fans on the continent about traveling to North America. According to reporters, football lovers from Africa “are a little bit jittery” about recent developments in the U.S. and worry they may be treated as “outcasts” or “second-class citizens.” “We are going to play it in a country where some of us do not feel welcome,” remarked a South African journalist.

Read More »
Algerian midfielder Yacine Titraoui shines again as Charleroi secure first win of the season Algerian midfielder Yacine Titraoui shines again as Charleroi secure first win of the season   Algerian midfielder Yacine Titraoui shines again as Charleroi secure first win of the season   AfricaSoccercom

Algerian midfielder Yacine Titraoui shines again as Charleroi secure first win of the season

Charleroi midfielder Yacine Titraoui produced another commanding display as his side earned their first league victory of the campaign with a 3-1 win over Dender. The 22-year-old Algerian, still awaiting his chance with the national team, dictated the tempo throughout the match and was widely regarded as the standout performer. Operating as the heartbeat of the Zebras’ midfield, Titraoui touched the ball 86 times, completed 91% of his passes and delivered 12 successful long balls out of 12, underlining both his precision and consistency. It was the type of performance that has become increasingly familiar since his arrival in Belgium. After a promising debut season in European football, where his

Read More »
 Senegalese defender Joseph Layouss Samb poised for Stade Lavallois move after CHAN breakthrough  Senegalese defender Joseph Layouss Samb poised for Stade Lavallois move after CHAN breakthrough    Senegalese defender Joseph Layouss Samb poised for Stade Lavallois move after CHAN breakthrough   AfricaSoccercom

 Senegalese defender Joseph Layouss Samb poised for Stade Lavallois move after CHAN breakthrough

Senegal defender Joseph Layouss Samb is on the verge of completing a transfer to French Ligue 2 side Stade Lavallois following an impressive campaign at the African Nations Championship (CHAN). According to reports from Oxygène Radio, negotiations between the French club and Teungueth FC are at an advanced stage, with the 23-year-old expected to travel for his medical examination in the coming hours. Samb, who made his mark during the CHAN earlier this year, finished as Senegal’s top scorer in the tournament with two goals, an unusual feat for a left-back. His performances not only highlighted his defensive stability but also his attacking instincts, attracting attention from several European clubs.

Read More »
Morocco confident of securing Ayyoub Bouaddi despite French interest Morocco confident of securing Ayyoub Bouaddi despite French interest   Morocco confident of securing Ayyoub Bouaddi despite French interest   AfricaSoccercom

Morocco confident of securing Ayyoub Bouaddi despite French interest

The international future of Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi remains under intense scrutiny, with Morocco increasingly confident of securing the highly rated teenager despite his continued involvement with France’s Under-21 side. At just 18 years old, Bouaddi has emerged as a major talent in European football, attracting attention not only for his performances in Ligue 1 but also for the tug-of-war between the French Football Federation (FFF) and the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF). While the player has publicly insisted he will take his time before committing, reports suggest Morocco believes his decision is already settled. According to information from specialist outlet Soccer212, a crucial meeting took place in November 2024

Read More »

Discover the ultimate blend of luxury and precision with the best replica watch. This stunning timepiece captures the essence of elegance and performance, making it the perfect accessory for both formal and casual occasions. Elevate your style without compromising your budget—experience sophistication today!

Mobile applications

Our mobile app is optimized for your phone. Download it for free!

Connect With Us

© 2025, Africa Soccer | All Rights Reserved.
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE