AmaZulu’s Thandolwenkosi Ngwenya should have been sent off for ‘brutal’ challenge, says former PSL referee Victor Hlungwani

Share This Article:
AmaZulu’s Thandolwenkosi Ngwenya should have been sent off for ‘brutal’ challenge, says former PSL referee Victor Hlungwani

Former PSL referee Victor Hlungwani has criticised the decision to show AmaZulu’s Thandolwenkosi Ngwenya only a yellow card for a tackle that left Orlando Pirates midfielder Sihle Nduli with a serious ankle injury.

Hlungwani described the challenge as “brutality” and said it clearly warranted a red card during AmaZulu’s 1-1 draw with Orlando Pirates at Kings Park in Durban last Wednesday.

Ngwenya appeared to launch himself at Nduli as the Pirates midfielder cleared the ball. Referee Luxolo Badi awarded a yellow card, but the decision has since come under scrutiny after the extent of Nduli’s injury was confirmed.

The 30-year-old has been ruled out of competitive football for four months after Orlando Pirates confirmed that he suffered a Grade 3 ligament tear in his ankle.

AmaZulu coach Arthur Zwane apologised to Orlando Pirates for what the club described as a “non-malicious” tackle. Ngwenya later also offered an apology to the club following the incident.

However, Hlungwani said the nature of the challenge made the punishment on the pitch insufficient.

“This was brutality! I’ve never seen something like this in my life,” Hlungwani said on Soccerzone.

“You can see what Ngwenya here does. Look at him there. That tackle is horrible.

“A yellow card was given. Incorrect decision.

“We don’t want to play it too much because it was horrible to watch.”

The incident occurred during a fiercely contested match that ended level, with neither side able to claim victory at Kings Park. The tackle became the main talking point after the final whistle because of the force with which Ngwenya appeared to challenge Nduli.

Hlungwani’s assessment was unequivocal: he believed the challenge should have resulted in Ngwenya being dismissed rather than cautioned. His comments also came after the injury sustained by Nduli had ruled the Pirates midfielder out for a significant period.

The four-month absence means Orlando Pirates will be without the 30-year-old for competitive action while he recovers from the Grade 3 ligament damage in his ankle. AmaZulu’s apology, first from Zwane and later from Ngwenya, referred to the tackle as non-malicious, but did not alter the match officials’ original decision.

The clash between AmaZulu and Orlando Pirates finished 1-1, with the disciplinary decision and Nduli’s subsequent injury ensuring that the match continued to attract attention after the result had been recorded.

Share This Article: