Premier League referees to punish more grappling at set-pieces, says Howard Webb
Premier League referees have been told to take a tougher approach to grappling and holding during set-pieces this season, with refereeing chief Howard Webb acknowledging that too many defenders dragged attackers to the ground without punishment last term.
The new approach will be in focus from the opening game, when Arsenal face Coventry at Emirates Stadium on Friday. Arsenal’s set-piece strength was a key part of their Premier League title success, but rival managers and supporters repeatedly criticised the club’s players for wrestling opponents before corners and free-kicks were delivered.
Webb, English football’s chief refereeing officer, wants both match officials and Video Assistant Referees (VAR) to pay closer attention to those incidents. The Premier League announced the new set-piece rule on Wednesday, ensuring scrutiny will be particularly high around Arsenal.
“I think fans can expect less warnings from referees (before fouls are given) than they might have seen previously, and I know (those warnings were) a source of frustration,” he said on Wednesday.
“Fans can expect to see more situations being penalised, but not only in August or September, throughout the season.”
Under a change for the coming campaign, VAR officials will be able to review attacking fouls during set-pieces when a goal, penalty award or disciplinary sanction follows. If an offence is identified, the set-piece can be ordered to be retaken.
However, Webb insists officials do not want to interrupt matches every time there is physical contact in the penalty area. The former Premier League and FIFA referee said contact remained a normal part of football and that referees would continue to operate with a high threshold for intervention.
“I’m not going to commit to say we’re going to go from here to penalising lots of contact. Contact’s still part of the game,” he said.
“We still maintain a high threshold, but I would imagine we’ll be sat here this time next year and we’ll be able to reflect on a season where more offences have been penalised.”
Webb also raised concerns about the impact of the decision to overturn United States forward Folarin Balogun’s suspension for a red card received during the World Cup.
He said the controversy had strengthened a growing belief among some supporters that refereeing decisions are influenced by conspiracies. The case also involved United States president Donald Trump, who admitted telling FIFA president Gianni Infantino to review the incident.
“I was really troubled by it,” Webb said. “We know that there was pressure placed by a politician on to FIFA, because that was admitted.
“And we know that the suspension was taken away for that particular tournament and suspended through a process which seemingly didn’t exist before the tournament started.
“Decisions were previously viewed as correct or incorrect, based on your judgement. Far too often now decisions are viewed as correct or corrupt by people who want to type all over social media.”
