Kalidou Koulibaly avoids surgery after thigh injury setback
Kalidou Koulibaly will not require surgery after suffering a thigh injury, bringing relief to both Al-Hilal and the Senegal national team as concerns had grown over the severity of the setback.
The 34-year-old defender, who captains Senegal, sustained the injury during a training session with his Saudi Pro League club. The issue, involving his thigh, prompted medical staff at both club and international level to seek further assessment earlier this week.
Koulibaly, who has made 26 appearances this season across all competitions for Al-Hilal, contributing two goals and two assists, subsequently travelled to Spain for specialist consultations to determine the extent of the injury and the best course of treatment.
Upon his return to Saudi Arabia, Al-Hilal issued a statement on Friday confirming the next steps in his recovery process. “Kalidou Koulibaly has completed his rehabilitation program at the Meena Clinic, at the club’s headquarters, after medical examinations conducted in Spain revealed that he required additional treatment sessions for his hamstring injury,” the club said.
While uncertainty remained over the defender’s availability in the coming weeks, reports from Saudi media on Saturday provided a more reassuring update. According to Arriyadiyah, Koulibaly is not expected to undergo surgery despite the injury.
Although he is likely to miss upcoming matches as part of his recovery, the absence of surgical intervention is viewed as a positive development for both club and country.
The news will be particularly welcomed in Senegal, where attention is already turning towards major international commitments, including the World Cup scheduled to begin in less than two months. Koulibaly’s experience and leadership remain key components of the national team setup, and any extended absence would have been a significant concern.
For now, both Al-Hilal and Senegal will continue to monitor his rehabilitation closely, with the focus on ensuring a full recovery ahead of the next major fixtures.
🔹 “كوليبالي” يجري برنامجه العلاجي في عيادة “مينا” بمقر النادي pic.twitter.com/b3uYkBDTlk
— نادي الهلال السعودي (@Alhilal_FC) April 24, 2026
Related To This Article
-
Latest News
Kriel urges Springboks to seize remaining chances after All Blacks defeat
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Sundowns urged to sign right-back after Mudau suffers six-month injury
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Former Sundowns defender Schoeman reveals knee injury forced early retirement
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Ouaddou wishes Van Rooyen well after Orlando Pirates departure
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Five teams begin Motsepe Foundation Championship with opening-weekend wins
August 23, 2026
-
Latest News
Cardoso says Sundowns must break MTN8 pattern to reach final
August 23, 2026
-
Kriel urges Springboks to seize remaining chances after All Blacks defeat Aug 23, 2026
-
Sundowns urged to sign right-back after Mudau suffers six-month injury Aug 23, 2026
-
Former Sundowns defender Schoeman reveals knee injury forced early retirement Aug 23, 2026
-
Ouaddou wishes Van Rooyen well after Orlando Pirates departure Aug 23, 2026
-
AFCON 2025: Fixtures, Results, Scores and Standings Jan 18, 2026
-
Leadership and long-term vision key to rescuing Zamalek and inspiring Egyptian football – Hany Abou Rida Nov 5, 2025
-
South African giants Orlando Pirates set to lose influential forward Monnapule Saleng Mar 19, 2025
-
Full schedule for 2025 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco confirmed Feb 12, 2025
