Fouzi Lekjaa condemns conspiracy targeting Morocco over AFCON and World Cup

Share This Article:
Fouzi Lekjaa condemns conspiracy targeting Morocco over AFCON and World Cup

Moroccan Football Federation president Fouzi Lekjaa has strongly criticised what he described as a “real conspiracy” against Morocco amid persistent rumours surrounding the country’s preparations for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations and the 2030 World Cup.

Speaking before the Finance Committee of the House of Representatives on Thursday, in his capacity as Minister Delegate in charge of the Budget, Lekjaa dismissed the speculation as absurd and took a veiled swipe at Algeria, accusing certain rivals of attempting to undermine Morocco’s image on the international stage.

“Since we’re talking about the AFCON, you know who our competitors were. Since then, they’ve been trying to cast doubt on our abilities, Lekjaa said. They started rumors, saying we kill stray dogs and that the stadiums aren’t ready. Even after the inauguration of the Rabat stadium, they claimed it was Photoshopped!”

His remarks appeared to reference Algeria’s late withdrawal from the race to host the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, which was ultimately awarded to Morocco.

The country has since faced repeated online campaigns questioning its readiness to stage the continental tournament.

Lekjaa, who has been a central figure in Morocco’s rise as a sporting power, defended the nation’s preparations and broader ambitions, insisting that both the AFCON and the 2030 World Cup — which Morocco will co-host with Spain and Portugal — are projects of strategic national importance.

“These projects will create jobs and added value for our country, he said. They are part of the royal vision of an emerging Morocco, where every dirham invested contributes to transforming infrastructure and modernizing public services.”

Amid growing domestic debate about the cost of major sporting events during a period of economic pressure and social unrest, the federation chief stressed that hosting the World Cup was neither a whim nor a financial burden but an investment in the nation’s future.

Lekjaa revealed that half of the three billion dirhams (around €280 million) earmarked for preparations would be allocated to the National Railway Office (ONCF) to improve transport links between host cities.

His intervention comes as Morocco accelerates infrastructure work ahead of both tournaments, including stadium renovations and transport upgrades designed to meet international standards.

Despite mounting criticism from some quarters, Lekjaa’s comments signal Morocco’s determination to present itself as a reliable and ambitious host — and to resist what he views as coordinated attempts to damage the country’s reputation on the eve of two landmark sporting events.